Printing Statement (5.5 x 8.5) size handouts from Word

I'm trying to print statement (5.5 x 8.5) sized handouts for a class. I've created the page size in Word (Office 365) with margin sizes of .5 in.

What I'd like to do is print the handout on letter-size paper in landscape and then cut the paper in half. For example:
  1. I need page 1 to print on the front of the letter-sized paper twice and...
  2. I need page 2 to print on the back of the letter-sized paper twice.
  3. When cut in half, I'll have two copies of the document in statement or half-letter size.
Is this even possible? I am trying to avoid using columns and/or duplicating pages in the document using letter-sized paper. I need for the document text to flow from page to page but for the page size to be 5.5 x 8.5.

Answer
Answer

Starting with your existing 5.5 x 8.5" handouts, change the paper size to Letter and set "Multiple pages" to "2 pages per sheet." Your document will still look exactly the same, but you can print two of them on a sheet.

To print the fronts and backs if you're using a printer that duplexes automatically may take some trial and error. I would start by printing pages 1,1,2,2. If this doesn't give the desired results, try printing pages 1,2,1,2. (Both methods worked for me.)

In either case, be sure you have the printer set to flip on the short edge to get the back page the right way up. When you have established that it works as intended, you can set the number of copies to the desired number.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 2, 2024 Views 7,355 Applies to: