Playing back Audio notes recorded on a Word document on Mac over on Word on a Windows PC

I am a learning disabled student who is using Office 365 University edition on a PC.  I have a a note taker who also has Office 365 University edition with Word, but on a Mac. She sits in the classroom and takes notes for me using the Audio Notes feature. This feature allows her to type notes for me and record the audio of the lecture at the same time.  Then when I get the Word document file from her I can review the notes and listen to the exact point in the lecture where the instructor was talking.  I am able to use her files on my Mac mini, but when I try to use the same file on my Windows PC, there doesn't seem to be a way play back the audio.  I can't seem to get s straight answer to as to whether this is

a. Not possible to do
b. Possible to do but I need to apply a fix
c. Possible to do, but I am not using it correctly or need another piece of software installed

Additionally there is some confusion at Microsoft about this capability versus something called Microsoft OneNote.  I don't know if they are compatible and can't find any information about it, I eventually landed on this page, but can't find an answer. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/onenote-help/upgrade-to-onenote-2013-HA102749817.aspx?CTT=1     I am willing to install OneNote if it in fact will open the Word file that my friend has sent me with the lecture notes and audio in it.

If you answer this question please forward this answer to the AnswerTech people for the Microsoft Windows and Mac PC support groups because neither of them knew what I was talking about.  Please also forward to the Microsoft Pro Support group and the University365 support groups who handles the activations.

Thanks
1> Can you verify if audio recorded outside of word play fine if you bring it over to the windows system.

That is because there is nothing similar to the notebook layout on a mac in word for windows. So try to save the audio as a stand alone audio file on the mac and bring it over to the pc to test.

2> Onenote on windows has nothing similar to a mac.

Trying to be helpful.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

While OneNote might be a suitable application for you to use (you can record audio and take notes at the same time), it doesn't seem to be available in Office for Mac, so it wouldn't work for your note taker. I cannot find any information to indicate that OneNote can open Audio Notes produced by Word for Mac, either, so you may be at an impasse.
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1> Audio recorded (mp3, etc.) on the Mac outside of Word plays just fine on the PC.

I understand that my friend who records the Audio notes on the Mac could export them to a separate file  http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/mac-word-help/record-audio-notes-HA102929550.aspx  and then could send that file to me with the Word document, but that does not allow me to click on the note and hear the exact section of the lecture that was happening when the note was taken.  This is the purpose of the Audio Note feature. I don't have to fast forward and guess what part of the lecture matches with the Notes my note take took.

2> So it sounds like I can't ask my friend to record using OneNote because she has a Mac.

So although you have not said it, I am guessing the answer is that AudioNotes are not available on Word for Windows and so the answer is a.  No possible.    Additionally I can't use OneNote isn't an option.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I believe you are correct. It is a shame because this is the kind of thing that could bridge the Mac and PC worlds for Microsoft and help create new set of students who rely on Microsoft Word.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 23 Applies to: