Microsoft Word Styles hyperlink, bottom-border

In web design I am accustomed to styling my links as a border-bottom and not as an underline.
Excepting a few rare fonts like Gautami (Microsoft) or Naskh Medium (Adobe), underlines gouge through lower ligaments - often making words less readable.

Always cramped.

Office 365, in its functioning Virtualization ethos, has removed the capability to style hyperlink border-bottom. And therefore, has also lost the ability to condition the default Word template with appropriately styled hyperlinks.

A few things about this capture. Notice that Hyperlink Followed is missing! It was removed from Styles gallery Styles/Manage Styles as soon as Hyperlink Followed style was adjusted and saved. Not so good. Something went wrong with my styling of Hyperlink Followed

While creating a Custom bottom border link (bottom-only), border only looked good in preview. But obviously converted from Custom bottom to Box when saved, as now every followed link in Word based on this template is enclosed in a box. Multiple subsequent efforts in Styles gallery Manage Styles to restore border bottom link style all regress to Box.

Now, to adjust Hyperlink Followed, I have to place cursor on any followed link in a document using the failed border-bottom link styling. And follow more than a dozen steps!

1. Click the followed link.
  2. Right click the followed link. (2 popups appear, use top one)
  3. Click Styles.
  4. Then click Create a Style.
  5. Name the style Hyperlink Followed..
  6. Click Modify.
  7. Change Style type to Character.
  8. Change Style type based on to a FollowedHyperlink.
  9. Select radio button New documents based on this template.
  10. Click Format button.
  11. Click Border.
  12. Change Box to None.
  13. Click OK.
  14. Again, click OK.

I wish we could at least place link underlines behind currently gouged text. And hopefully change the opacity of underlines so they don't BLARE SO LOUDLY! The only other option for now is equally as buggy as Word's Border antics. In Manage Styles again, style Fonts underline by messing around with underlines (generally). You have to place cursor on a hyperlink first, so that Manage Styles focuses now named FollowedHyperlink (???) style. Now click another dozen times to effect hyperlink style as not being underlined. Word links are really not very 'stylish'. Nor are links easily styled.

How do I get back my office-before-365-windows-8.1-pro much more flexible border-bottom link styling?

Answer
Answer

FWIW, there is no built-in style named Hyperlink Followed. The style is FollowedHyperlink, and it is automatically applied to a hyperlink that has been followed. Your custom Hyperlink Followed style would not be used for this purpose.

Moreover, there has never been a way to add a bottom border to selected text (only to a paragraph), so a bottom border could never have been made part of a character style such as Hyperlink or FollowedHyperlink. A border applied to selected text is always a box border. See http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/Overbar.htm#UpperBorders.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 20, 2024 Views 1,635 Applies to: