How can Word be so shockingly bad?

My heart sank but I was not really surprised to see that the new version of Word is no better and in some ways even worse (which is really saying something) than the previous one.

None of the horrible design flaws have been corrected in the new version. Is it not likely, for example, that if I have just drawn a 1-point black line I might just possibly maybe want to draw another one (who would have thought of that?) rather than the menu being reset to 'Home' - whatever on earth that is supposed to mean - and the shape settings reset to default? It's absolutely staggeringly stupid. There's even exactly the same bug in the default settings feature as in the previous version - my default text box inevitably changes itself to white filled with half a black border, no matter what I try to set it to.

The formula editor is just as clunky as before. Surely if, for example, I have selected an index expression, I will want to type into the boxes of the expression rather than having to go through another two key presses to get there? Was this feature not tested by mathematicians? Or anyone with any sense whatsoever? Or anyone at all?

There are numerous other little bugs, tics and stupidities. Essentially, there is no coherent concept behind the design. It appears to be the result of piecemeal, gimmicky tinkering and a misguided attempt to create a superficially friendly environment which actually makes the package no easier for new users and almost impossible for anyone who has the slightest idea what they're doing.

Given these dreadful frustrations, which make a relatively simple task into an infuriating ordeal, I would be very surprised if there hadn't been thousands of complaints about the previous version. So why have these example of blatant incompetence not been addressed in the new version?

I suggest the answer is that Microsoft is simply capitalising on its monopoly position and has total undisguised contempt for the stupid mugs like me who buy its shoddy products, which appear increasingly like deliberate insults. Microsoft has gone beyond spitting in the sandwich and is actually serving up plates of steaming excrement. That's the only possible explanation for this rickety rubbish (that's 'garbage' for the US English speakers, nice to see you chaps and ladies).

This attitude will destroy the company in the long term, and good riddance. There must be millions of people who passionately hate Microsoft and its products and only use them because they are standard. All of these people, including me, will change to another supplier as soon as the market situation changes away from the current monopoly position.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I can offer one suggestion, for your line-drawing exercise:

1. After you draw and format the line, right-click on it and select Set as Default Line. Any further lines you draw will maintain the same weight and color until you reset the default.
  2. If you keep the line selected, the Drawing Tools | Format tab will be displayed, and the Insert Shapes palette will include a line, which you can select to draw another line, which will have the color and weight you selected as the default.

As for the text boxes, you can also format one of those, right-click, and Set as Default Text Box. Text box borders are always on all four sides, but when you select a text box with a line border, for some reason the top and left edges appear heavier. This doesn't happen if the text box is set to No Line, so I'm not sure what the purpose is.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks. I did find that workaround, but my point is that I shouldn't have to. The problem with the text boxes is definitely a bug. The issues I mentioned were just supposed to be examples.

102 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, if you have any other problems, you need only describe them and someone will be glad to help. I don't see what I described as a "workaround." This is the way Word is designed to work. I suspect that users would have much more trouble with Word if it did automatically adopt every setting you make as the default setting (especially if you have chosen No Line).
Fairhope, Alabama USA

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't use the functions that you've mentioned but I'm sick of trying to highlight text to copy that's on a page with text and objects and have EVERYTHING picked up by the cursor!  Not to mention during edits when the pop-up bubble floats over the area you're trying to read/edit.  It's pretty clear that the individuals who are modifying these programs aren't getting the input of the end users.  (Or they are asking the wrong ones.)  

76 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm sick of trying to highlight text to copy that's on a page with text and objects and have EVERYTHING picked up by the cursor!

So how is Word supposed to know when you do or don't want the objects selected? And, if you only want to output the text, have you considered using the Paste > Keep Text Only option?
Cheers
Paul Edstein
(Fmr MS MVP - Word)

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't use the functions that you've mentioned but I'm sick of trying to highlight text to copy that's on a page with text and objects and have EVERYTHING picked up by the cursor!  Not to mention during edits when the pop-up bubble floats over the area you're trying to read/edit.  It's pretty clear that the individuals who are modifying these programs aren't getting the input of the end users.  (Or they are asking the wrong ones.)  

"Everything" gets picked up if you have objects like pictures anchored in the text you are selecting. If more text is getting picked than you have selected it is because you have the options set to do so.

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The other day I was getting a document ready to print. I thought I would move some page breaks to save a page or two. Imagine my surprise when all of the simple diagrams I'd sweated and sworn over for so many infuriating hours collapsed into a hideous pile of nonsense.

These problems are not inevitable. I was using a maths education program today which allows you to draw shapes, select and deselect, move things around, group and ungroup them, and interrelate them in various ways, without any of the stroke-inducing design flaws and bugs that Word has.

Defaults: in all my years of computer experience, defaults have been the settings that a program has when you open it. During a session, settings usually stay at whatever they were last set to. When you close the program and run it again, they revert to default. If you change the defaults, that is what you get when you open the program each session - not what the settings revert to every time you do something! That is my understanding of the concept 'default'. Why did someone decide to change it? It was working perfectly well before. If we experimentally risk our sanity and try to follow Microsoft's current logic, if you select 'bold' and type one character, the setting should revert back to normal text for the next character. If that is so obviously absurd, why isn't is so for drawing a line?

The dreadful idea (if it was an idea at all, not just some mindless corporate epiphenomenon) of reverting back to a different menu tab after each operation is even more horrendous. I don't think I could invent a more pig-headed way of ruining what had been a more or less acceptable product if I tried.

The fact that Microsoft is unable to accept any criticism is further evidence of its terminal decadence, the tragicomic swaggering and boasting of the Emperor as his empire implodes to the size of his throne room, defended by a gaggle of drunken eunuchs and syphilitic sycophants as the barbarians are hammering at the door. I will be celebrating when that last light goes out at MSCorp HQ. Stay in touch, I might buy some of your office furniture if the price is right. And no, you can't have it back after four years.

106 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Word is not an illustration program. For word processing software, it does have a fairly rich set of drawing tools, but it is not intended for high-level illustration. If you choose to use wrapped graphics, you must be aware of where they are anchored, as that affects how you can use them.

There are two kinds of defaults: document defaults and global defaults. Anything you "set as default" in a given document is set for just that document. In many cases, you do get to choose whether the default is for the given document or for "New documents based on x template." If that template is the Normal template, then the defaults will apply to new Blank Documents; they will not apply to documents based on other templates. In other cases, to make defaults global, you must actually open the Normal template for editing and make the change there.

The idea of the Ribbon is that the tabs are contextual. Yes, this is sometimes frustrating, but the idea was to make the tools available as needed and to make all the tools more easily discoverable. In Word 2003 and earlier, when you click on a graphic, the Picture toolbar appears; in Word 2007 and above, the Drawing Tools | Format tab appears. I personally would prefer to have the (floating) Picture toolbar in addition to the Standard and Formatting toolbars and be able to use tools from any of them at will, but most users eventually add all their most frequently used commands to the QAT to make them always available.

Fairhope, Alabama USA

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

... The dreadful idea (if it was an idea at all, not just some mindless corporate epiphenomenon) of reverting back to a different menu tab after each operation is even more horrendous. I don't think I could invent a more pig-headed way of ruining what had been a more or less acceptable product if I tried.

The fact that Microsoft is unable to accept any criticism is further evidence of its terminal decadence, the tragicomic swaggering and boasting of the Emperor as his empire implodes to the size of his throne room, defended by a gaggle of drunken eunuchs and syphilitic sycophants as the barbarians are hammering at the door. I will be celebrating when that last light goes out at MSCorp HQ. Stay in touch, I might buy some of your office furniture if the price is right. And no, you can't have it back after four years.
I don't know whether or not Microsoft is able to accept criticism. In my opinion they have been too easily swayed by the loudest voices (or the voices with the deepest pockets). I don't work for MS and I don't particularly like their products. I have been frustrated by them for years! Many things are still a mystery to me, and likely to remain so.

I, like the other volunteers who answer questions on this forum, have picked up a bit of knowledge of how Word works and how to make it work better. I try to share that. I don't think that makes me a eunuch or a sycophant, diseased or otherwise.

I wish you well.
Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

20 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well put Charles.

MichaelMango, while I pretty much agree with you (on pretty much all your points) I think it is also time for all of us to move on. Either by working with what is there, or by NOT working with what is there. I am a professional technical writer and personally I have chosen the latter.  I do not use 2010 and will not use 2010. I fail to see any advantage to it, and many many disadvantages. As has been pointed out (ad nauseum) it is far worse to use if one actually knows how to use Word.

In my opinion, Microsoft has ruined Word. But...that is my opinion, and the responsibility - and CHOICE! - to use it (or not) is mine. I choose not to use it.  I do not need any of its "features", and while I have indeed been able to progress enough to use it reasonably well, I STILL see no advantage, and many disadvantages.

So the bottom line is I do not personally use it.  Now it is true that those who work with clients who DO use it must have some knowledge of it in order to maintain things. So be it.  We simply have to deal with it.  I have certainly encouraged clients to stop using Word, and will continue to do that.

But, it is time to move on.  Microsoft will NOT go back, regardless of any number of complaints. Their purpose is not (and never has been) to produce a good product. It is to produce NEW product in order to sell those products and make new (more) money. That is the nature of business.

"defended by a gaggle of drunken eunuchs and syphilitic sycophants" Ignoring the hyperbole, this is insulting to those who are not truly defending the situation, but who are trying to deal with the reality of the situation.

21 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated May 5, 2024 Views 31,460 Applies to: