"Don't Add Space Between Paragraphs of the Same Style"-Driving Me Crazy! MS Office 365 Home Premium

I have MS Office 365 Home Premium and the "Don't Add Space Between Paragraphs of the Same Style" function is ridiculous.  I constantly have to re-select it when I am typing.  I have tried making it be the default function, but to no avail. 
Is there a way to make this function box stay checked the entire time?

If it matters, I use Skydrive.

Thank you so much!

Jed

It is best to apply that setting when modifying the style to which you want it applied.

Press Ctrl+Shift+s to display the apply Styles dialog and then when you have the selection in  paragraph that is formatted with the Style that you want to modify, that Style will appear in the Apply Styles dialog.  When it does, click on the Modify button and then on Format>Paragraph in the Modify Style dialog and check the box for "Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style", then click on OK and then select the radio button for "New documents based on this template" before clicking on OK in the Modify Style dialog.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

36 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

In particular, if you see this with bullet and number formats, make sure to clear the option that Doug mentioned in the Modify Style dialog box for the List Paragraph style.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You didn't answer the person's question at ALL! It seems that the program is permanently stuck on creating a space between lines, and every time you open a new document for use, you have to go to the "Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style" button and click it. That is ridiculous. You even have the option to make it "Default," but that doesn't work, because it never applies itself.

I am baffled that Microsoft has not either fixed this problem or come up with a fix FOR this problem. It is all over Google Search, and no one seems to have found an answer.

If you don't have a way to fix something, and you're just going to babble on about non-applicable stuff, then don't bother answering.

Sheesh!

59 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You are actually asking a different question. If you're using the Normal style for the entire document, then you can certainly make it the default for that style by modifying the style and saving the change to the template (select the radio button for "New documents based on this template"). But if the problem really is that you don't want space between your paragraphs, a more sensible approach would be to remove the Spacing After from the Normal style (or, better, the document defaults) and save that change to the template. To do this:

1. Press Alt+Ctrl+Shift+S to open the Styles pane.
  2. In the bottom left corner of the pane are three buttons. Click the third, Manage Styles.
  3. In the Manage Styles dialog, select the Set Defaults tab.
  4. Under "Paragraph Spacing," set "After" to 0. You may also want to set the line spacing to Single.
  5. Select the radio button for "New documents based on this template."
  6. Click OK.
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

50 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There is a conceptual difference here. The "Don't add space..." option should be used when the same style is applied to several consecutive paragraphs and you don't want any spacing between them. When there is an "intervening" style, the spacing will no longer be suppressed. A typical example is items in a (short) numbered or bulleted list, for which you may not want spacing but you do want spacing for intervening non-numbered paragraphs.

On the other hand, if you want a certain paragraph style to never apply any paragraph spacing, you should set Spacing Before and After to zero.

Both of these settings can be added to the template using the "New documents based on this template" option that Suzanne mentioned in her reply.

Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Suzanne's solution works! I've been wondering about this problem for longer than I can remember. Of course, it only takes ten seconds to change, but doing that every single time I start a new document gets pretty annoying.

Doug's ostensible solution is garbage. The only thing it changes is your faith in people named Doug.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

With reference to the information that I posted, YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!

There are two different things:

1. Suppressing space between paragraphs of the same style
  2. Removing space between paragraphs whether of the same style or not

The original question was about item 1 above and my response is correct for that situation.  Suzanne's information concerned item 2.

The important thing is that to have which ever setting it is apply to all documents (created after the change is made) it is necessary to select the radio button for "New documents based on this template.", which both Suzanne and I included in our individual responses.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Of course, it only takes ten seconds to change, but doing that every single time I start a new document gets pretty annoying.

If you select the radio button for "New documents based on this template," you should not have to make the change every time you start a new document. The change will not, however, apply to existing documents.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As stated previously, there are two different concepts being discussed here: suppressing spacing (in certain circumstances) versus explicitly setting the spacing to zero.

If "New documents based on this template" isn't working, you can open your template explicitly and change the style directly; then save and close the template. The next step is to troubleshoot for poorly designed add-ins which may prevent saving changes to templates via "New documents based on this template." See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541/en-us.

Also, please refrain from personal attacks; review the Code of Conduct at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/page/faq#faqCodeConduct.

Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 14, 2024 Views 14,438 Applies to: