Creating / Saving Multilevel Lists / Styles

I created a multilevel list and it looks like it created some styles.

But I don't see a place on how to save it. 

How can I save this list / style so that I can get back to it if I reboot my computer?

Can this be exported to another machine?  The current one is Windows 8.1  64bit, Microsoft Office 2013.  The one that I would like to export is Windows 8.1  32bit, Microsoft Office 2013

I am thinking that I might  just save it as a .dotx file?  And then if one of the colors is still blue, and I change it to black, it (hopefully) will ask me if I want to make the changes to the template?

Thank you!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

If you have linked the multilevel list to styles (one for each level), then you save the styles themselves.
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

In my header:

I have these styles when opened

And my header looks like this:

I do not reallt see a place st save the save / lists, etc.  I take it the .dotm ot .dotx won't work?

And on a side note if I was to take a change to the styles, is should (hopefully) ask me is I want to save the changes the template?   And won't mess with the doc?

I guess basically one would have two files opened at the save time, and Word 2013 will know the difference?

Corey

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

• You can save the current document as a template (.dotx) if you want the styles to be available in new documents based on a specific template.
  • If your document is already based on a specific template, right-click each style (in the Quick Style gallery or Styles task pane), choose Modify, and select the radio button for "New documents based on this template." Then click OK.
  • If your document is based on the Normal template, and you want these numbered styles to be available in all new Blank Documents, then again use Modify to change the radio button to "New documents based on this template."
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had one that but it seems to take away the lists.

I tried to open the .dotm and .dotx and start my document but I need to make changes to the Multilevel List and Styles.  The only option is create a new one. 

The Multilevel Lists seem to disappear (which is under current list) and the numbering library seems to become active.

Corey

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If your list is a multilevel "List Style" (made by clicking Define New List Style), it was named and saved as a List Style when you created it.  List Styles were new to W2007.

If is a "Multilevel List" (made by clicking "Define new Multilevel List"), it cannot be saved or modified as a list. Whenever you change a multilevel list (Word called this "customizing" in W2003), Word creates a new Multilevel List.

Only paragraph and character styles appear in the Home tab's Styles Gallery.  List Styles appear in the List Styles section of the multilevel list library.  And Table Styles appear in the Table Styles gallery on the Table Tools > Design tab.  All styles appear in the manage styles dialog.

Only the paragraph style name is in the  list settings. But when paragraph style is linked to a number list level, Word incorporates the list settings (such as list level and start at position)  into the paragraph style settings.  This ensures that the numbering can be applied via the list level or the paragraph style and that both will be applied.

If you want to save both the list settings and the heading paragraph style settings, saving to a template as Suzanne suggests may be your better option.  
Pamelia Caswell

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How did you create the numbering? Is it a list style with paragraph styles linked to each level? In that case, copy not only the paragraph styles but also the list style into your template.

Note that saving numbered styles to a Quick Style set (if that's what you're trying to do) is unpredictable. I have seen a numbering format disappearing or being replaced with a different format.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am terribly frustrated.  I define my multilevel numbered lists, linking them to Styles, and can't seem to get the Styles to keep from changing.

Is there not a way to SAVE the styles somehow?  My defined settings mean nothing to MS Word 2013.

AND ... though I defined my multilevel list, it does not display for me to go back to make any modifications. ???

Have spent 5 days trying to get a document to behave ... trying to create a template for future use ...

Yowza.

Also, selection of the "New Documents based on this template" will not remain selected.  Is that because I haven't yet saved this doc as a template?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you did not specifically create a new template, all of the changes that you have been making will have been made to the Normal.dotm template.

You should start by saving a blank document as a template and then with that as the active document, follow the procedure in the article "How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in your Microsoft Word document" on the following page of the Late Shauna Kelly's website:

http://shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.html?p=1768

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Set up numbering linked to paragraph styles (see Doug's reply). Note that you may have to re-apply styles to text afterwards.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This may be new in Office 2013, but I am able to add new list styles to my list library. Hopefully this will help someone.

After you Create a new Multilevel list, or any list, it will appear in the "Lists in current Document" section of the dropdown. To save it to the Library, right click the list you just created and select "Save list in Library" That is all that needs to be done.

I have deleted most of the prepared lists and added my own to the bullets, numbering, and multilevel lists this way, and they all appear in my normal template when I open a new doc.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 19, 2024 Views 24,968 Applies to: