Word shows full UNC path instead of local "Documents" folder of file Open and Save

Normally Word (and Excel) by default will show the user's local "Documents" folder when opening or saving a file. That is what we want. However, after using Windows Server Folder Redirection to redirect the Documents folder to the network, Word now shows the full UNC path to the network share.

Instead of seeing:

"My PC Documents"

users see

\\sever1\redirect$\username\documents

Folder redirection is supposed to be transparent t the user. Virtually all our other applications, including Office 2003, respect this convention and continue to show "Documents". As you can see, Word even exposes a hidden share!

Is there a way to suppress this behavior? Thanx!

Dana

Hello There,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

As the Word and Excel documents are being redirected to a network location, your query will be best addressed on the Outlook IT Forum. I request you to post your query on the Outlook IT Forum using the following link.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=outlook

Let us know if you need any other information.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

So you want me to pose a question about Word in the Outlook forum? Apologies, but quite honestly that does not make sense. May I point out that I have posted this question in the Windows networking forum and they referred me here.

That actually does make sense because this behavior is specific to Word (and Excel). It is not a networking issue, as the network is operating perfectly. As I was saying, all other applications, including Word (and Excel) 2003 show the Documents folder, regardless of the redirection.

Could you kindly leave this thread open, in hopes someone will have the answer. Than you so much!

Dana

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Mohan inadvertently posted boilerplate designed for the Outlook forums, but the gist of what he was posting was still true; for server issues, you need to be posting in the TechNet forums. For Word, the correct URL would be http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=word
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you. I understand what you are saying but this is NOT a server/networking issue. This (unfortunately) is specifically an issue with Word/Excel 2013. Bear with me and I will try to explain:

All other applications show the "Documents" folder on a File Open/Save, as they should. The ONLY application that does not is Office 2013. It is within Office 2013 that the program is declining to show the Documents folder, and instead is showing behind the scenes, the actual network path.

If we go to File / Options / Save and browse to the local Documents folder as the place Word should open and save files from, Word immediately removes the path you have browsed to, and replaces it with the network path (the UNC path).

I am posting this issue in here because the only chance of fixing it will be a configuration change to Office 2013.

(Note: I have already posted this issue in the Windows Server forum and they directed me here.)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Having the same issue, did you end up getting this resolved?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 9, 2024 Views 1,465 Applies to: