Word Home & Student 2013 Won't double space existing text Windows 8.1

Why won't it double space my work?  It will double space from beginning of a document but won't let ,e double space existing documents OR it double spaces a couple of pages!  I go into design and chose paragraph spacing, double space and... nothing happens!  How do i double space exisiting work?

If the text has a particular style attached to it, you need to modify the formatting of that style. 

In an existing document, you could select the text and then use CTRL+SHIFT+s to display the Apply Styles dialog and then press the Reapply button, or select the text that you want to be double spaced and then access the Format Paragraph dialog and change the line spacing.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

In addition to what Doug says, do you have the text selected when you change the spacing?
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When I press block the text and press CTRL+SHIFT+s it starts uploading to the cloud drive.  I'm really struggling with this.  One thing I have thought about is I probably started some of these documents on a different version of word, can't remember what version though could that be it?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have pressed CTRL SHIFT  S this time (not CTRL space S) and nothing happens.  I've already tried paragraph formatting and that doesn't work either.  I've tried saving it to earlier versions that doesn't work.  I prefer to write in single spacing then convert to double and have never had any problems till i got word 2013.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It seems that something has happened to your shortcut. Normally, Ctrl+Shift+S should have a specific function within Word (specifically, to display the Apply Styles pane).

If you click the dialog launcher button (the little arrow on the bottom right) in the Styles group on the Home tab, you'll see the Styles pane. Which style do you see in the pane? Which properties are specified if you right-click the style name and click Modify on the context menu?

Also, if you wish, feel free to upload an example document that illustrates the problem to (say) OneDrive or Dropbox and post a link here.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 24, 2022 Views 905 Applies to: