Word cannot open a downloaded file

Split from this thread.

Hi I installed word 2013. If I open and create a new document no issues but when I download a document eg, an application form lol, I get the error message that the file name is not compatible with the file extension docx.  What is the point of having the latest software if it cant open the documents?  How do I fix this? I have tried every option I can think of to open this. I have been told the issue may be when the original owner creates the document but that doesn't help the issue.   Also when I had the same file emailed to me instead of downloaded it opened fine. This is frustrating and off putting.  Microsoft just wanted £65 to "fix" the fault.....

I have word 2013 as part of a suite. When I have repeatedly tried to download a word document eg an application form, when I try to open it I am told the filename is not compatible with the file extension, so I can't open it.  I have had the same document emailed to me and it opened fine. I can also create word documents.  Microsoft wanted £65 to "fix" the fault and also indicated that the fault lies with the original document which doesn't help. This is an ongoing issue. Any fix? Not practical to continually ask people to email application form which I cant open with the latest software.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

From where are you downloading the document? Are you sure that it is in a format that Word can read? Sometimes, the filename extension has been altered so that it looks like a Word file but it really isn't.

Since your question is different from that of the original post, I'm creating a new thread for it. Note that you can always find your questions by looking at your profile page in the forum.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 164 Applies to: