Word 2013 - Start a Footer on the Third Section and Blank on First Two Sections

• Windows 8.1 Pro - 64 bit
  • Office 2013 - 64 bit (standalone version as part of Office 365 enterprise)
  • Word 2013

I am trying to create a document with the following attributes:

• Title page in its own section (easily done)
  • Table of Contents in its own section following title page (easily done)
  • Body of the document with a footer
    • Footer begins on this section only. Prior sections should have no footer. (This is where I am having difficulty)
    • Footer has a page number starting at one (easily done)

I can create a title page and create a table of contents. When I attempt to add a footer (Blank three Columns), on the third section, I deselect "Link to Previous". Unfortunately, the first two sections now have a footer templates at the bottom of the pages. In other words, when I look at the bottoms of title and table of contents pages, I see "type here".

How can I insert a footer starting on the third section while absent on the first two sections?

Thank you.

Answer
Answer

Ah, a simple thing, then. Instead of inserting your header/footer from the Insert tab, you can do it directly from the Header & Footer Tools | Design tab. To access this, just double-click in the header area to open the header. You will then be able to access the footer as well. If you start at the beginning of the document, you can use the Next button to get to Section 2 and unlink it, then Next again to get to Section 3 and unlink it, then insert your footer in Section 3.

Also note that if you're planning to use the Blank (Three Columns) footer, it's really quite unnecessary. The Footer style by default has a centered tab centered between the margins and a right-aligned tab at the right margin. Once you've accessed the footer area, you can just type what you want on the left, Tab, type what you want in the middle, Tab again, and type what you want on the right. No need for content controls.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2021 Views 945 Applies to: