Trying to get the HOME tab to show while working on a Word document

I'm accustomed to viewing the HOME tab, with its ribbon of useful commands, while working in a Word document.  But recently the view switched, and it insists on showing the FILE tab instead.  I can get to the HOME tab by selecting it, but as soon as I return to the body of the document, it reverts to showing the FILE tab.

There was a previous post on this problem, at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-word/make-default-tab-on-word-2010-be-the-home-tab-not/75cd6de2-db48-40ad-bd39-b14a6068a959?rtAction=1396548716055, from 2011.  The solution offered then seemed to work for people, but it's not working now.  (That was Word 2020, I'm using 3013).  Any ideas?

Thank you!

Double-click on the Home tab to redisplay the Ribbon; you have it minimized.
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

35 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Just because the File tab has a blue background, does not mean that it is the active tab.  Do you have the ribbon minimised as Jay Freedman suggested in his answer to the 2011 question?

In 2013, after right clicking on a tab instead on the "Minimize the Ribbon" that is visible in 2010, you will see "Collapse the Ribbon".  If that has a check mark against it, left click on that item to remove the check mark. 

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you!  I can't believe I didn't figure that out myself!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Many thanks!

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks very much.  As Suzanne noted, double-clicking was successful too.  I appreciate your prompt advice.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm glad you did not Howard or else I'd not have found you were having the same problem as I.  Double click and the home row has finally returned.  But still...  Microsoft is just that much more despised by this user for playing this ridiculous game of changing/complicating Word for no good reason other than -apparently- to prevent anyone ever learning it for more than a brief moment in time!  I guess they are just trying to justify reasons for folks to keep updating versions so they can forever continue to $gouge people for Word - a ridiculously messed up pathetic excuse of a word processing program. 

Yup, I wish Microsoft would disintegrate into a pile of nothingness so another company with ethics might take their place.  

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

*** Double click and the home row has finally returned.  But still...  Microsoft is just that much more despised by this user for playing this ridiculous game of changing/complicating Word for no good reason other than -apparently- to prevent anyone ever learning it for more than a brief moment in time!  ***

I have no love for Microsoft. However, this feature is useful to many people. There are two groups in particular that benefit from it:

1. Those trying to maximize their screen real estate because they are using small monitors (or even tablets these days).
  2. Those who use keyboard shortcuts for most of the commands they would use buttons on the Ribbon to achieve. Much of what people do with the buttons on the Ribbon can be done through keyboard shortcuts that date back to Word 97 or earlier.

To both of those groups, the ability to get the Ribbon out of the way of their work is important. It would be nice if Microsoft, in the beginning, warned people that they were hiding the Ribbon and told them how to get it back. On the other hand, if you right-click on any Ribbon tab in Word and you will get the command to minimize it (checked or unchecked).

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 27, 2024 Views 3,339 Applies to: