Strange issue with inline images in Word 2013, Compatibility Mode

There are times when I need to use Compatibility Mode in Word 2013 (there is a very convoluted, but real reason, and another topic for another day).  When I paste inline images with a border, the top border is cut off both onscreen and in print.  The same image looks fine when the document is saved with the new file format (but, as alluded to earlier, I have other problems).

This is more of a curiosity thing:  has anyone else seen this happen?  Aside from moving to the new format, can you think of a workaround?

Thanks in advance,

Terry

Since the image is "In line with text," look at the value for Line Spacing (Paragraph dialog box). Try increasing the value. In particular, make sure the spacing isn't set to an exact amount which is too small for the height of the image.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Stefan (and I apologize for posting this in the wrong forum!).

Unfortunately, that isn't it.  I can set the line spacing to something ridiculous like Multiple: 4 and still that top border is chopped off.  (Below is a screenshot - which I hope comes through).  The image is on the second line and the top border doesn't show.  If the image is on the first line of a paragraph, it seems to work.  As I said, the same image/text renders correctly in Word 2010 OR if I convert the document to Word 2013 format.  It's just in Compatibility Mode where it doesn't work.  All ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

Terry

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My experience in Word 2003 is that, for some reason, when a bordered graphic lands at the top of a page, where its Spacing Before is suppressed, the top border is (sometimes) cut off. The only way I have found to remedy this is to remove the Spacing Before and format the image as "Page break before."
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well...., it's not at the top of a page.  The image above (which I really hope comes through this time) is a standard paragraph in which I increased the line spacing to Multiple: 5 to make sure the image had enough room to print.  As you can see, there's plenty of white space between lines.

When I convert to Word 2013 format, the text doesn't actually move - the image is in exactly the same place... but, the top border prints.

It's not the end of the world, but it's odd behavior for sure.

Still welcoming any and all ideas!

Terry

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 287 Applies to: