Search and Navigation Problem

I just got Word 2013 a week ago.  I have two related problems:  (1) Word 2010 used to allow you to navigate page up/down a page at a time - there were arrows on the right that let you do it.  Word 2013 does not seem to have this feature, but I figured out that I can use the Control+FN+page down/up keys to move page by page.  This brings me to my second problem (2) If I happen to have searched for something, then the page down/up feature no longer works, but instead it takes me to the same old search each time. This happens even after I have erased the search words from the search box. Even after doing that, if I then want to go up or down, I keep ending up at the search spot which I no longer need. The only way to make this stop happening is to exit the document and open it back up.  Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? Any help will be much appreciated.  Thanks.
Answer
Answer

The keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+PageUp and Ctrl+PageDown are assigned to the BrowsePrev and BrowseNext commands. In previous versions of Word, the double arrows at the bottom of the vertical scroll bar also execute these commands, and there is a Select Browse Object button between the arrows that allows you to select which object you want to browse by. The default actions at Word startup are Previous Page and Next Page, but after the Find (or Replace or Go To) dialog has been used, they become Previous Find/GoTo and Next Find/GoTo. To restore the original action, you have to use Select Browse Object to select Browse by Page.

This works great in Word 2010 and earlier (it's particularly helpful, in versions that don't have the Navigation pane, to be able to use them to navigate quickly through search results). In Word 2013, an unfortunate design decision was made to eliminate the browse arrows and the Select Browse Object gallery. In the Navigation pane (Results tab), you can click the arrow at the end of the search box and find some of the "browse objects" to search by, but Page is not one of them.

There are several workarounds for this:

1. The article at http://wordribbon.tips.net/T011206_Setting_a_Default_for_the_Object_Browser.html provides some macros that you can use to set the browse object back to Page.
  2. You could add Next Page and Previous Page buttons to the Quick Access Toolbar (File | Options | Customize Quick Access Toolbar: All Commands).
  3. You could assign the Ctrl+PageUp and Ctrl+PageDown shortcuts to the NextPage and PrevPage commands (File | Options | Customize Ribbon: Keyboard shortcuts). (If these commands don't work as expected, there are also commands called GoToNextPage and GoToPreviousPage; these would surely work.)
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 189 Applies to: