Result of field function PrintDate no more saved in Word document

Hello,

in the past I used to the field function

PRINTDATE  \@ "d. MMMM yyyy"

to insert the current Date into my letters to see when the letter was printed. After saving the document, I was able to see at any time when I had last printed the letter.

With Word 2013 it seems that the printdate is no more saved. With that I do no more know when I have last printed the document.

When I re-open the document, the field function returns an initial value.

I see under menu section "Information" a field ~"last printed" which is Initial. Tootlip say "Never".

I tried this with two different Printers (very old HP one and new Canon). For both the same.

My question:

Is there a way to re-activate the function? Or is somewhere else the Information available?

Regards,

Marcel

Answer
Answer

Okay, I can replicate this issue. I will report it.       

Edit: On further testing, I realized that the file had not in fact been saved. If the file contains an actual PRINTDATE field, or any other field that is updated when the document is printed, then saving the document after printing will ensure that the "Last Printed" data is saved. But if you just print a document containing no updatable fields and then "save" it, it will not actually be saved. In such cases, try a "phantom edit" (such as Spacebar, Backspace) to "dirty" the document before saving it. I think you'll find that then, even after quitting Word and reopening the document, the Last Printed item on the Info tab will be correct.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 16, 2023 Views 297 Applies to: