Prompt for "Document Properties" on using "Save As"

I used Word 2000 for many years.  I generate a weekly newsletter that is developed from the previous week's one.  Each week I use "Save As" to convert the previous week's issue to this week's one. In Word 2000 I got a prompt for "Document Properties" in which I updated a couple of fields containing text (issue date, issue number etc) that appear in several places in the document, (page headers, titles, etc.)  

In Word 2013 I cannot find out how to do the same thing.  I have to go through several layers of menus and click targets to find the properties I want to update.  Often I forget to do this.  How do I set up the same automatic prompt for these properties?  
Answer
Answer

There's no option that works exactly the same in Word 2007 and above (I, too, miss this). If you have the Developer tab displayed, you can click on Document Panel in the Templates group. This opens a dialog that has a check box for "Always show Document Information Panel on document open and initial save."

There are two things wrong with this:

1. It fires on Open as well as Save As.
  2. The Document Information Panel displays some document properties, but it doesn't actually open the familiar Properties dialog. To do that, you have to click the arrow beside Document Properties at the top of the panel. This opens a menu with a single item, Advanced Properties, and you have to click that to open the dialog. That's not very efficient.

A better solution is to add Advanced Document Properties to your QAT and just try to remember to use it every time you Save As.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 6, 2022 Views 2,457 Applies to: