Office 2013 Styles

I've created a style in Word 2013 which I now want everyone in my office to be able to use when they use word.

How can I share this across the network. There are only about 9 people who need it and the version of office varies from 2010 to 2013

I assume I can save this style, locate it on my PC copy to a certain place on the other users machine and boom it will be available??

Thanks for your help.

Answer
Answer

Styles are saved in documents and templates. Ordinarily, you would create a template with your custom styles and make it available to your co-workers by storing it in the folder designated as the "Workgroup templates" folder. If you want the style to be available when users create a new Blank Document, then the style must be saved in the Normal template. Because the Normal template is used to store personal settings, it should not be shared, nor should you ask users to replace their copy with yours. Instead, you can furnish them with a document from which they can copy the style into their Normal templates.

There are several ways to copy a style from a document or another template into Normal.dotm, but probably the easiest way is as follows:

1. Open a document containing the style and create text to which the style is applied.
  2. Copy this text.
  3. In Word, press Alt+F11; the Visual Basic Editor opens.
  4. Press Ctrl+G to activate the Immediate window. In that window, type

NormalTemplate.OpenAsDocument

and press Enter.
  5. Normal opens, but note that it may not be on top of all windows. You can close the Visual Basic Editor. Paste the copied text into the template, then delete it. If you want the new style to be the default style for text in a new document, apply it to the remaining empty paragraph in the template. Save and close the template. The style should now be stored in Normal.dotm.
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 280 Applies to: