Multi-Level List Formatting Question

Sorry, I'm not sure if it's better to ask all my questions in one thread, or create new threads for different questions.  I figure that targeted threads will make it easier for others find answers.

So ---

I created a multi-level list using the Shauna Kelly numbered headings article.

When it comes to formatting the paragraphs for each heading, do I open up the list and format it there, or do I right-click on the heading number in the gallery and hit modify.

For example, my Heading 1, I want no number, centered, all caps and underlined.

I tried do add this formatting in the number list and it didn't work.  Then I right-clicked the Heading 1 in the gallery, clicked modify, made the changes and ..... that didn't work either.

Also, according to the article, if I need to edit the numbers and click the dropdown on multilevel list, I should see my new list style "highlighted at the bottom of the menu."  I do see the two list styles I've created at the bottom of the menu, but neither of them are highlighted.  And, (as noted in another thread), clicking on one of them does not incorporate that list style into my document.  (Which raises the question of why the user-created list styles appear on the drop-down if they can't be used for anything.)

Thank you.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The alignment and character formatting of the Heading 1 Style you need to do in the Modify Style dialog.

Did you define a New List Style suing the Define New List Style dialog and follow the instructions in Shauna's article to the letter?

You should create the numbering system in a template and then if you use that template as the basis for documents that you produce, those documents will inherit the numbering that you defined in the template without you needing to take any action to do that.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm pretty certain that I followed the article, although I'm going to try again today from scratch.  (I did this last week, and everything pretty much worked fine.  For some reason, half way through the document, when I hit enter on, say a "Heading 2" paragraph, the new paragraph did not have a number, although the style gallery and style inspector said the paragraph was Header 2.  But I went back to an earlier version and it worked ok.)

Is there a problem if my top two numbering levels don't have numbers?  It didn't seem to matter in my prior document.  I want those to be "centered, bold, underlined".  Do I set the formatting for centering, etc., in the number list or by right-clicking on the Header style in the gallery and modifying the paragraph?

Thank you.  I do appreciate the help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Unless you have changed it, the "Style for following paragraph" in all of Word's built-in heading styles is Normal, so you will not get a numbered paragraph when you press Enter at the end of a heading unless you are in Outline view. But you can promote the Normal paragraph to an outline level using any of the keyboard shortcuts currently available (which you can use depend on settings in AutoFormat As You Type).

Unnumbered headings shouldn't be a problem provided they are part of the same multilevel list; you can't restart numbering after them if they're not. As Doug said, alignment and character formatting, plus any right indent, should be set in the Paragraph and Font dialogs through Modify Style. Numbering and any indents on the left (Left, Hanging, First-Line) must be set through the Define New Multilevel List dialog.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you.  I definitely set the "style for following paragraph", and confirmed it when the problem arose.  As noted, according to the style inspector, the following paragraph was the correct style, it just didn't display the number. 

So, I do centering, bold, underline in by modifying the Header style.  let's say I wanted to modify the numbering format?  (I.e., change the number to roman numbers).   I click multi-level list, and then right click on the style list and modify?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

To change the numbering format, it is recommended that you put the insertion point in the first paragraph in the Level 1 style. Click the arrow beside the Multilevel List button and choose Define New Multilevel List (the wording is misleading, because this is what you use to modify the list as well). Select the relevant list level (which is linked to the relevant style) and change the numbering as desired. Then click OK.
Fairhope, Alabama USA

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What's the difference between a multi-level list and a list style?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

According to Shauna, a list style "creates a set or group of styles." Although I don't actually use list styles, I can see that a list style is a way to save the modifications you have made in the Define New Multilevel List dialog, linked to specific styles. As Shauna says, you never actually use the style itself--just the styles linked to its levels--but you do have the advantage of having it shown by name in the Multilevel List dropdown, and you can right-click on it and choose Modify when you want to change the numbering or other list formatting. You can read the last section, "Is all this really necessary? Can't I just use the List Library?," for her rationale. It certainly makes sense to use it if you have more than one list. In any case, if you have defined a list style as she instructs, then you would, as you said, use Modify to change the numbering instead of going straight to Define New Multilevel List.
Fairhope, Alabama USA

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Of course, a list style doesn't have to include a set of nine paragraph styles, but numbering will be more stable if you both create a list style and assign a paragraph style to each numbering level.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What's the difference between a multi-level list and a list style?

In short, a list style is a multilevel list with a name. The list style makes it easier to reuse number formatting, similar to the way a paragraph style makes it easier to reuse paragraph formatting, or a character style makes it easier to reuse font/character formatting.

However, I would recommend using a list style together with paragraph styles. Assign a unique paragraph style to each level of numbering in the list style. This is discussed in Shauna Kelly's article at http://shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.html.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok. 

For document A, I followed Shauna's article and created a multi-level list style and header style, pretty much the same format as hers..  I then entered the text I wanted and saved it as a template.

I had another document and I wanted to use the same multi-level list/header style.  I opened the template from doc A and saved it as a new template.  I deleted the contents.  Then I cut and paste into it the contents from the other doc.  I clicked at the bottom to copy only text and not formatting.

I then went through each paragraph and assigned the appropriate Header style, which was associated with a list level.  I think that worked.

Now I want to do a few things:

All of the numbers for every Header level are flush left.  I want some to be indented .5 or 1 or so.  I can't find the proper setting in either modifying the paragraph of the header style or modifying the list style.

For some of the number levels, I need more space after the number (i.e., 1.1.1) and the text.  I can't find how to do that.

For some number levels I want to move the number in, say 1.0 from the left, but when the text gets to the next line, I want the next line flush left (like a regular looking paragraph).  For other levels, I want the next line of text to also be indented to appear just under the number.  For other levels, I want the text of the second line to be indented further to the right of the number.  What command/setting does this?

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 1, 2024 Views 2,318 Applies to: