In word 2013 - what is the shortcuts for removing the left side panels (eg-search) & right side panels (eg-research)?

Hello,
what are the shortcuts to remove the left hand side panels like the search panel and also to remove the right side panels like the research panel?
thank you in advance!
Sid

Both Navigation and Search panes have X buttons to close them. AFAIK, there are no keyboard shortcuts for closing them. You can, however, assign a keyboard shortcut for the Navigation pane, which responds to commands for its former incarnation, the Document Map.

1. Right-click on the QAT and choose Customize the Ribbon.
  2. In the Customize the Ribbon dialog, click the Customize button next to "Keyboard shortcuts."
  3. In the Customize Keyboard dialog, in the Categories list, choose "All Commands."
  4. In the Commands list, scroll down to ViewDocumentMap.
  5. In the "Press new shortcut key" box, press the key combination you would like to use to open/close the Navigation pane.
  6. Click Assign, then Close, then OK to click the Customize the Ribbon dialog.

You can follow the same procedure to assign a shortcut to the Research command, which, despite the description, is also a toggle.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Suzanne,
 thank you court much for the reply.
I thought so too that no shortcut would be there for them as I did try all possible options like ctrl+w, alt+f4 etc.
For the right hand panels I will try your idea and for the search panel I saw that esc works but is not 100% for some reason.
kind regards

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't know the answer but I can assure you that you will Never find the answer to what's the k/b shortcut for closing the "right pane" particularly, in a million years. When it comes to k/b shortcut for closing the "right pane", signals in the brain jumble for Everyone I tell you. EVERYONE!
Effector Dhanushanth, MATV., BEng., BInf Tech., BSc, BA(HONS)., PCPD., Dip.
British playwright, author & screenwriter, visual effects & teleplay supervising artist.
Creative content copywriter/curator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The left hand find panel is also the old "Document map" or new "Navigation Pain" <sic grin>.  You can toggle it using <alt><v><d>.  That is the good old MENU alt shortcut for View menu > Document Map. It was "grandfathered" in for those of us who were used to the menus. It still works in 2016.

You can turn on the Research pane using the <alt><S><RS>  . Unfortunately MS did not see fit to allow it to turn off the pain.

You should be able to at least turn on most of the right side panels using <alt> shortcuts. Press and release the <alt> key, the alt shortcuts for the tabs will display. Press and release the appropriate tab shortcut to display the button shortcuts.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 22, 2022 Views 1,047 Applies to: