In word 2013 I have a multi paged table. I can't move the table down on the second page.

The table on the second pages sits up high on the page. I can't seem to get the table to slide down a bit so I won't be stapling on the writing in the table. Any time I try to put the curser above the table on the second page it just wants to sit inside the table and to space inside the table. I want to slide the table down and make space above the table, that is continuing from page one. I have tried a few things but it just messes up the table and the other pages. When I just try to highlight the top of the table on page two it also highlights the bottom of the table from page one. The table still sees its self as one even with the page break. I did not create the page break it decided that for me. Trying to make forms for a classroom. Thanks

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting this question.

As I understand you’re facing issues working with the tables in the Microsoft Word.

Have you tried changing the margins under the ‘Page layout’?

Try changing the margins and check if it helps.

Click on Page layout > Margins > Custom margins > change the values and check the results.

Reply to us with the results to help you better.

Thank you.

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you Guruprasad! 

Yes I have tried to change the margins. There are two problems with this. You can either select whole document or selected text. When I try to select text then both the bottom of the first page and the top of the second page becomes highlighted when I try to just select the top of the second page. Then when I make the custom change not only does the bottom of the first page have a much bigger margin but the second page as well but now the table is messed up. A line separating the two top rows is now gone on top of the second page. This also repeats the same mess up with the other pages.

But this time I decided to try to do the whole document to see if maybe this is the only way around this is to adjust all. 

Then when I try to do the custom margin with the whole document it really messes up the multi paged table in much bigger way. Now the text starts half way down the page for many pages. I tried this before and gave up. But this time I went back and adjusted each page back nearer the top that were so far down the page and that seemed to work. But looking close now I see that some lines are missing in the top cells of the second page. 

The table likes to keep to a certain page layout and can't adjust to wider top margins without leaving out a bottom line in the first row.  

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Make sure that "Text wrapping" for the table (in the Table Properties dialog box) is set to "None." To add a "blank line" above the table, place the insertion point at the very beginning of the first cell of the first row and click Table Tools Layout tab | Split Table. Does that make a difference?
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

152 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Stefan,

Yes it is already set to none in text wrapping. Thanks for telling me where to look. 

I do not need a line above the table. I couldn't put one there anyways since when ever I highlight the top row of the second page it automatically highlights the bottom row of the first. They are forever linked as one even with the automatic page break it creates.

What happens is when I do add more lines in custom margins to the top margin. I go from .2 to .6 then the table automatically adjusts down. But in the first two rows of the table the border between the rows disappears so now it is one large row. Very odd.

Thanks.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you are allowed to share (a copy of) the document, you can upload it to SkyDrive or post a link here. Remove any sensitive information first.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you Stefan! It has been awhile since I have done this type of link. If this doesn't work let me know.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have looked at your document. A 0.2" top margin is entirely too small. If the top of your table would be caught up in stapling on the second page, then so would your heading on the first page. However, if you want the heading where it is on the first page, then there is a workaround.

On the Layout tab of the Page Setup dialog, set the header margin to 0.2" and enable "Different first page." Make your top margin at least 0.5" (0.6" will work better with the heading). Then insert the "Common Core Writing Record For__________________________" text in the First Page Header. Leave the primary Header (which will appear on the second page) empty. You'll have the desired top margin on the second page without affecting the placement of your heading on the first page.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Suzanne, 
It is late now but I will give it a go tomorrow. Thanks so much for looking at this document and giving me your advice. I will let you know how it goes. It sounds like it is going to work ; )

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Suzanne,

I did to to page layout and to margins and then to custom margins and then to layout for Word 2013. I adjusted the header to .6 and clicked ok and nothing happened. 

I then decided to try a new word and set up the header first to .6 and then copied the table to it and that worked and there seemed to be much more room on top. I then tried to copy the Heading of the table onto the page and it won't let me. It seems like once you put the table in that is ALL that matters to Word. 

I then tried to insert a blank header but that just put a huge gap on the first page.

I then tried to start a new word and paste the Title on first and then the table. I first set the header to .06 and also the top margin to .6 from 1. since it was creating a lot of space on top. I left the bottom margins and footer along and they also leave a lot of extra space. What happened is instead of taking up two pages it went to three and then on the top of the third page it created a completed blank row inbetween W6 and W7. 

Just when I think I am making some progress the table goes boooong.

Is the table messed up?

It just doesn't like the idea of doing anything different than what it wants to do. When you try, it just messes up the table.

Thanks anyway.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think you're confused. You should set the top margin (on the Margins tab of the Page Setup dialog) to 0.6" and the header margin (on the Layout tab of Page Setup, currently set at 0") to 0.2". That will place your heading (when inserted in the First Page Header) at the same position where it currently is.

I also had difficulty accessing the header space when the table was the first thing in the document. What ended up working was cutting the "Common Core" heading but leaving an empty paragraph there, inserting the heading in the header, and then deleting the empty paragraph above the table. OTOH, if double-clicking in the header space doesn't open the header, then you can right-click and choose Edit Header.

When I performed the actions I described, it did not appear to affect the pagination, but what I hadn't realized was that you have more than two pages and more than two headings. In order to have the "Common Core Writing," "Common Core Language," and other headings in the header, you'd need section breaks. Moreover, the change in top margin makes your pages run over because you have a wealth of extra, empty paragraphs below the table. Eliminating those and using Next Page section breaks will take care of that problem as well.

All of this is very easy to fix, and if you want to send your email address to ssbarnhill at gmail dot com, I'll send you the corrected file (but not in the next five minutes as I'm about to go out to lunch--my husband is taking me out for my birthday!).

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 16, 2024 Views 61,995 Applies to: