***How to create a FORMATTING template for Microsoft Word 2013?***

Hello there,

I am formatting a bunch of large Word documents, and am at the last stage - changing the format, i.e. font, indents, bold/italics, etc...

I have to do this for all 9 HUGE files. 

==> Is there a way for me to edit one piece of my work and then use that format template for the rest of the documents? That will save me DAYS of work.

So for example can I edit one half of my document with the exact indents, boldness, font size, etc, manually, and apply that to the other documents so I can just copy/paste for example into that format?

Thank you,

Answer
Answer

You can certainly create a template that contains styles that use the font and paragraph formatting you want. You can then insert each of the existing documents into a new document based on that template. But you will have to apply the styles to the text manually unless the documents are already formatted with corresponding styles that will be automatically updated when a new template is attached.

That is, all the text in the documents that is in the Normal style (without direct font or paragraph formatting) will be updated to your modified definition of Normal when inserted into a new document based on your template. Ditto for Body Text, Block Text, Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. But if the entire document is in the Normal style with direct font and paragraph formatting, you'll have to clear all the formatting and then apply the appropriate styles (Body Text, Block Text, headings, etc.) to the paragraphs.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 189 Applies to: