Font sizes within Word tables shrink

I've built a document that contains paragraphs of text as well as some tables. I've created a "normal" style that is 10 point Segoe UI Semilight. I apply that font style to my document text, including the text in the tables. It all looks great, except for a couple of situations:

• i open the document in read mode. When i do this, the text NOT in the tables looks perfect, but the text IN the tables looks incredibly small. 
  • I copy and paste the document into an email (keeping source formatting). i email it and view it on my phone (iPhone). In the iOS email app, the table text looks incredibly small (while the non-table text looks fine). If i view it in my OWA app, the opposite happens - table text is huge whle non-table text is normal. 

Just trying to figure out why the same style looks drastically different inside and outside of tables. 

thanks for your help!

Is this common issue that happens with all the documents?

Could you post scree shot of how the table and text appears on both the devices?

How about if you save the document on OneDrive and open it through Word online?
Truth is still truth, even if you don't believe in it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Make sure that the font settings in the table style matches those of the Normal style and the document defaults; that way, applying (custom) paragraph styles to text in the table cells should work fine.

Edit: Re-reading the original message, it seems more likely that different programs interpret the formatting differently. When pasting content into the body of an e-mail, you can never be certain how it appears to the recipient.

As far as Read Mode is concerned, note that it isn't a what-you-see-is-what-you-get view. Rather, its purpose is to make text easier to read on the screen.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

hey Shane, thanks for your reply. This is what it looks like in reading view. I zoomed the text size just to show how the table text does not scale at all. this is using the exact same style in and out of table. Oddly, on my phone, the text in and out of the table looks the same. (i started with a blank doc, using the default styles - nothing that i've created on my own.) Now i just need to figure out why it works for this document but not for the altered-styles doc i've created.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

hey Stefan, I'm using the exact same style inside the table (the Normal style that I've modified). Is there an additional setting i need to look for that enables it to stay consistent when working with tables?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don’t think there is any setting style inside the table to do the changes.

Since the issue is with specific document you can try creating a new document with different styles and check if the same thing happens.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Text formatting is defined in a complex hierarchy in Word: document default settings (in the Manage Styles dialog box), font settings in the table style, the Normal style (which is the "parent" style which most other styles are based on), and then direct font formatting applied to individual text ranges.

Here's the Modify Style dialog box for a table style:

The "Apply formatting to" drop down determines which part of the table is affected by the setting.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Read Mode wraps text to the width of the display. Even at large text sizes, this can be handled reasonably well in ordinary text, but in a multi-column table, there is a limit to how much reformatting can be done. In your screen shot, it does appear that the text is smaller than it would have to be, but it may be that the row height has been set to an Exact amount that Read Mode is honoring.
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 15, 2024 Views 6,140 Applies to: