Floating tables in Word 2013 will not extend beyond the margin at the bottom of the page

I try to keep away from floating tables (ie with text wrapping) but there are time when they are really useful. One place where they work brilliantly is for a last page footer (eg a flyer type document) where I make they cover over the standard footer with the disclaimer text that needs to appear on the last page of the document.

In Word 2010 you can make a floating table extend beyond the margins and cover the footer at the bottom of the page. However if you open a document with this type of table in Word 2013 and then save the documents as a true '2013' document the table splits over the page (even if the table only consists of one row and the 'Split over the page' option is switched off).

I have also tried creating a table in a new Word 2013 document but I cannot find a way to make a floating table extend beyond / into the margin area at the bottom of the page.

Am I missing something or is this a new feature of Word 2013 and their tables.
Answer
Answer

If you want some particular text to appear in the footer of only the last page of a document, you could use the following field construction

{ IF { PAGE } = { NUMPAGES } "The particular text for the last page only"  "Text for other pages" }

In place of the "Text for other pages" you could just use "" of nothing at all, if there is nothing to appear on the other pages.

You must use CTRL+F9 to insert each pair of field delimiters { } and you use ALT+F9 to toggle off their display.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Doug has given you a better solution for having a different footer on the last page, but, to answer your question, yes, this is a change in Word 2013. It's not just tables: it applies to wrapped objects generally. Here's an official explanation from MS:

Figures that have text wrapping applied, but are on the same plane as the text, are no longer allowed to bleed into the top or bottom margins.  You can still position a figure in the top or bottom margin without moving the anchor there if the figure is either above the text or below the text.

There were a couple reasons for the change:

• Conceptually, the idea that a figure is on the same plane as the text implies that it should be treated as a part of the flow of the text.  Text isn’t allowed to spill over into the top or bottom margin, so we’ve started applying the same rules to figures as well.
  • More specifically, by changing the behavior, we were addressing cases in which figures could get inadvertently pushed down into the bottom margin as text was added above the anchor. This would cause figures to overlap footers and footnotes as well as cases where figures would collide with other figures on the page.

What this means in practice is that objects with In Front of Text or Behind Text wrapping can extend into margins; those with Square, Tight, Top and Bottom, etc., cannot. Since a wrapped table basically has Square wrapping, that eliminates it.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 4, 2022 Views 4,044 Applies to: