"Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style"

I'm using Word 2013, and I'm trying to permanently enable "Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style".

I've tried the following:

* Open a blank document > Ctrl+Shift+S > "Modify" (keeping Normal as the Style Name) > "Format" > "Paragraph" > Checking "Don't add space ..." > Toggling "New documents based on this template" > OK.

* Same as above, and then saving the blank document.

* Open a blank document > Clicking the arrow in the "Paragraph" section in the "HOME" ribbon > Checking "Don't add space ..." > Clicking "Set As Default" > Selecting "App documents based on the Normal.dotm template?" > OK

* Same as above, and then saving the blank document.

None of the methods above worked.  In all cases that ridiculous space-adding functionality is still enabled.  Opening the saved blank document *did* work, however.  So I guess I can start using Word by opening the blank document and then saving it under a new name.  But isn't there a working method of circumventing this functionality?  Why isn't Word doing what it's saying it will do?

[Moderator note: Split from thread at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-word/how-to-permanently-disable-dont-add-space-between/4b614e56-3b9d-4c77-bd96-eb62012386f6]

Answer
Answer

It sounds to me as if you want to remove the Spacing After from the Normal style entirely. Doing this would be more efficient than enabling "Don't add space..." If either of these changes is not being saved, however, then it is likely that an add-in is preventing the Normal template from being saved. (One common culprit is the PDF Complete add-in, which comes installed on many HP systems.)

The permanent solution is to determine which add-in is causing the problem and eliminate it, but a temporary workaround is to open the Normal template for editing, make the change directly there, and then save the template. Here's an easy shortcut to do that:

In Word, press Alt+F11; the Visual Basic Editor opens. Press Ctrl+G to activate the Immediate window. In that window, type (or paste)

NormalTemplate.OpenAsDocument

and press Enter. Normal opens, but note that it may not be on top of all windows. You can close the Visual Basic Editor. Make the desired changes to the Normal file, and then save and close it. If the changes you have made have not been recognized as changes (the Undo button is not activated), press Spacebar, then Backspace to "dirty" the file, thus ensuring that the template will actually be saved.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 25, 2023 Views 1,624 Applies to: