Do I need internet explorer to install Microsoft Office Word?

I currently do not have Internet Explorer or Microsoft Word on my PC (Windows 8)  I use Goggle Chrome and Open Office. I have disc created by Microsoft Word in 2009 that I would like to view. I have tried downloading Microsoft View but when I insert the disc and click on the subject name, I get the message that" Internet Explorer has stopped working.  I tried downloading Internet Explorer and making itmy default but i still get the same message. I am willing to pay for the Micorsoft Office Word if it would read the disc. Does nay one have any suggestions.  Keep in mind that I am 79 and  in no way a computer whizz so if you can speak computeridiot language, I would appreciate it.

What is the extension of the file on the disc?

Have you tried opening it with Open Office by using its File Open facility?

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

That is an unexpected message.

No you do not NEED Internet Explorer to open these files in Open Office.

In theory, Open Office should be able to open and edit these files.

As Doug said, in Open Office, have you tried to use the equivalent of the File > Open (you may have to change the "File Type" to be able to see the Word DOC or DOCX files).
As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you both for your responses. I really do not know why I waste people's time asking a question. I am too unfamiliar with anything about computers except for the few processes I use. For instance: I do not know what an "extension: is in the context of a computer application.  Also, the CD's are not in the Open Office files.  They were created four years ago when I had Microsoft Word.  When I got my present CPU, it had a trial period for Microsoft Office.  During that period, I inserted the cd's in the removable disc slot and clicked on the entry I wanted to view and it immediately opened.. I did not extend the trial period as I prefer to use Open Office.  However, when I do the above process now, I get the message "Internet Explorer has stopped running." That led me to believe that I needed Microsoft Word, in which they were created,to open them. As I say,I do not have Internet Explorer. I deleted it along with the Word trial.  I use Google Chrome'  A few years back, I was having trouble and a techaid advised  that I not use Microsoft Word and Internet Explorer as they often caused problems when used together.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The "extension" in a filename is the part after the period (.doc or .docx). If you do not have file extensions displayed on your computer, you will not see them, but this can be risky, as it makes it easier for malefactors to send you dangerous attachments. A .doc or .docx file is a Word file.

If you need to open and edit the files, then you may want to get Open Office (http://www.openoffice.org/) or LibreOffice (http://www.libreoffice.org/), both of which are free productivity suites that include word processing programs that can open Word files. If you just need to be able to read and print the files, you can get the free Word Viewer from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=3657ce88-7cfa-457a-9aec-f4f827f20cac&displaylang=en.

EDIT: Oops, sorry. I now see that you say you use Open Office (I was evidently remembering a different question). As Rohn007 says, you should be able to open Word documents in Open Office but possibly not from the CD. Also, if you don't know what the file extension is, it's possible the files are actually PDF or HTML files.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This type of question is exactly why I volunteer my time here (more so than 90% of the questions that are really MS's responsibility that we see on the forum, like the "office 365 is broke" type ). Don't worry about "wasting" our time, as long as you follow our suggestions and answer our questions.  If you don't understand don't be shy, we can explain. Trouble shooting and education, we are doing a mix of both here, both require a two-way dialog.

Although computers have become "as common as toasters", they are NOT yet as simple to use. That to use them effectively (and safely) it still means that sometimes you have to learn more about them than you think you "need" to.

I'm not sure what that tech was talking about, Word and Internet Explorer, are not "more" prone to problems than any other software like Chrome and Open Office. But, if those are the tools you are familiar with, no problem, everything I know suggests you should be able to use them in this context.

I do know that Open Office can edit Word files.

One thing I have not yet seen suggested is copy the files to your local hard drive.  I know Word creates "Temporary" work files in the document directory, maybe Open Office does too, but can't because the CD is read only.

You still haven't answered the question, did you try using "File / Open" inside of Open Office to open the file?
As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I thought I answered it but maybe not in a way you understood.  If I go to open Office and click on "file" and then on "open", it opens the page with the files that I have created with Open Office.  The DVD's I am trying to view are in the in the removable disc tray. Is there another file/open function that I am not finding?Now, when I put a movie in the tray, I then go to the Computer short cut  and click on that. That brings up the page with the hard drive and the removable disc lines.  The removable disc line will have the name of the movie and when click on that the movie begins.  It is the same with music.  When I do that with the discs I am trying to view and click on the specific entry on that disc I want to view it first brings up an empty page with the Internet Explorer "E" icon.  There then appears  another window with the message "Internet Explorer has stopped working. "As i said I do not now have Internet Explorer.
I wondered if I just did not  have the application for opening the discs but then I remembered that when I got this computer it had the two month trial Microsoft Word and I did open the disc that I am now trying to open.  I even copied some of the material and pasted it into the Open Office site and I can open them by clicking on file/open.  Having done it successfully when I had the trial application and not being able to do so now is why I thought I needed to install Microsoft Word again  but I did that with the same results. Why the Internet Explorer thing is beyond my understanding. I do appreciate your taking the time to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Oh, I will see if there is a way to copy the CD to the hard drivel.  The CD's are read/write.  I always use that .   

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, it sounds like you are half way there.

In the file open dialog, it opens in a default location.  You should be able to 'navigate' to the CD in the reader to open those files. I don't have Open Office, so I can't give you specific how-to instructions.

You will also probably have to change the "File Type" in the open dialog to be able to see the Word files.

I think your root problem is that the "default file associations" for the Word files are not set to point to OpenOffice.  If the problem was with MS Office I would suggest doing an "Office Repair" to reset the defaults. I don't know if that will work for OpenOffice.  Instead, you can manually point the Office files to OpenOffice as described in this tip:

How to Change File Associations in Win7 and Win8

http://www.7tutorials.com/how-associate-file-type-or-protocol-program

Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 570 Applies to: