Backspace doesn't work in Word 2013

Hello,

I have been using Word 2013 for a couple of months now with no problems. I recently upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1 and this may be when it started. My backspace just doesn't work. I can use the delete button but not the backspace. It works in other programs so it's not a hardware issue. I have seen help that suggested checking that the 'typing replaces selected text' (in options/advanced) was checked which it is (I tried taking it off, exiting word, then putting it back on again but it made no difference).

Any ideas? This might not sound that bad but it's really frustrating!

Thanks. 

Answer
Answer

Hello!

I just had this problem. I went to PC Settings -> Control Panel -> Ease of Access (I'm using Window's 8 and Word 2013) -> Ease of Access Center -> Change how your keyboard works -> and finally the solution if Mouse Keys or Filter keys are turned ON -> turn them OFF and it will fix the problem.

Hope this helps!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

To clarify, it doesn't work at all? That is, it doesn't delete even a single character to the left? Or it doesn't delete selected text? If it were just the latter, then the "Typing replaces selected text" setting would be relevant; otherwise not.

I can well understand how utterly maddening this would be; it would certainly play havoc with my typing rhythm! I don't know of any way to ascertain whether this key is otherwise assigned in Word, since it doesn't seem possible to assign it to a command or character, and Word just considers it "typing," so it doesn't show up in the Undo list.

Try starting Word in Office Safe Mode (press Ctrl while starting Word and answer yes when asked if you want to start in Safe Mode). If the Backspace key works correctly in Safe Mode, then you can be pretty sure the problem is caused by an add-in, and you can try selectively disabling them till you find the culprit. Then you have to decide whether the utility of the add-in outweighs the inconvenience of having Backspace disabled.

One other thought: I'm sure you're aware that, depending on Word's AutoFormat As You Type settings, Backspace can sometimes have an auxiliary function in multilevel lists.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2023 Views 8,955 Applies to: