Conversion of Excel & Word Starter 2010 files by Microsoft without Warning or Notice

Sometime within the past week, all of my Excel spreadsheets & workbooks as well as all of my Word documents had their icons converted (and perhaps their file extensions -- I'm not sure) so that not one of them can be opened directly with a double-click.  When this is attempted, a dialog box pops up stating that the program needed to open the files is not installed on my computer and offers me the option of purchasing a new Office program.

My PC is a HP Desktop with Windows 7 Home Premium, which included the Microsoft Office Starter 2010 program at purchase.  I have discovered that I do in fact still have Word & Excel Starter 2010 programs on my computer.  But apparently, I must open those programs first now, and then search for the specific document or spreadsheet I want to open from inside the programs.

I am flabbergasted that Microsoft could or would do this with no apparent reason or seemingly good cause.  I would like to know the reason for this and how this can even be legal!!

UPDATE:

I just discovered that I received automatic updates form Windows on 9/12/13 which included one for Microsoft Office 2010.  After looking at the online support for the update, I was unable to determine exactly what the update was supposed to do or how it might effect the Office Starter 2010 programs I am using, so I uninstalled it.  I am happy to say that the problem with my documents is now solved. 

I do have one concern remaining however, and that is:  will the Windows automatic updates attempt to reinstall this update in the future since it will find that it is not installed on my PC any longer?  I really don't want to go through this headache again!

See this article for an explanation and solution that will allow you to reinstall the updates.
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your quick response.   But do I really need to reinstall the update?  Is it a Security update?  I thought it was a Functional update. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This worked perfectly.  Thanks!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't answer that. I do know that the update will be installed the next time updates are installed unless you have hidden it. I personally prefer to install all updates that apply, just in case (and so that, when any problem arises, I can give the assurance that Word is "fully patched").

For the time being, you can go along as you are. If you find that the update is installed next month, then you will know what to do (or perhaps by that time MS will have corrected the update).

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you very much.  I will follow your advice.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 414 Applies to: