WordArt 2010 Shadow Outline

I am trying to reproduce the Word 2003 WordArt Gallery using Word 2010 WordArt Text effects. One problem that is arising is that in the classic WordArt, the Shadows do not have apparent outlines. With Word 2010, all of the text shadows I've been able to reproduce do have an outline, at least when the text, itself has an outline. Here is an example:

The top WordArt is from Word 2003's engine. The bottom one is from Word 2010.

In the Word 2003 version the shadow either has no outline or it is the same color as the shadow. In Word 2010 the shadow does have an outline when the text has an outline. This isn't a huge problem but it would be nice to reproduce the Gallery using the Word 2010 graphics engine so that I could use the Word 2010 drawing tools to fiddle with them.

I plan on adding the Word 2010 analogs to my WordArt gallery.
2003 WordArt Add-In for 2010-2013

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I'm not seeing this at all. What are you seeing in the Shadow Options dialog? The default is as below:

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Which effects did you use to create the 2010 version.  I didn't see a default style that matched 2003, nor did I recognize the features required to recreate it to the degree that you did. I'm guessing it is a text fill effect ...
As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Suzanne, my point is that there is no control in the Shadow control for outline on the shadow. Here is my shadow on this one:

If I turn off the outline for the text (not the shadow) the outline on the shadow also disappears. The thing is, the classic one has outline on the text, but not on the shadow.

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Rohn, it is semi-transparent text with a shadow. In a couple more days, I expect to have the file on my website with both the classic set and my approximations in Word 2010. I figure people can then use the 2010 ones if they don't need back-compatibility because there is a lot more control in Word 2010, once you have a starting point. So far I have 12 done.

Here is what I have so far. This is without the AutoText.

When I get it done, I will post it in my downloads page with a new version number:
2003 WordArt Add-In for 2010-2013
The update should be version 2013.05 or 2014.05. When that goes up, the link that I gave without the AutoText will go dead.
Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am unable to replicate your sample, but I also find that some of the WordArt controls don't work as advertised. If I start with the red style in the center of the bottom row, I find that I cannot change the outline to black. But starting with a different style and applying your shadow options, I get this:

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You can get it from the download here if you want.

I've also discovered I can't replicate the stone patterns because the Word2010 doesn't allow a picture background. (I'm spending way too much time on this!)

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

One other thing I've noticed is that a number of the classic patterns say they are Arial Black when you try to edit them (edit text) in Word 2010, but are actually the Impact font.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm not sure which pattern I started with. I suspect it was the top left one, but I can't replicate it either, now, from scratch!

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Charles.  I missed the "Here" link in the email <grin>

You call the 2010 version "native", it may be more "user friendly" if you use a suffix like "2010".  Actually, why not also add a "2003" suffix to the original ones, just to make it blatantly clear which WordArt engine is being used?  ie
  • Wa09_2003
  • Wa009_2010

(why are there 2 leading zeros in the "native" name?

What is the functional difference to placing the template in the startup folder or loading it as an addin?

I've been thinking, and I suspect the cause of your original question is simply the change in the underlying WordArt engine. 

In the 2003 WordArt Tools Format contextual tab, there is no option to control shadow outline and no apparent option to control text formatting other than the presets.  Or have you found something I missed.

In the 2010 WordArt Drawing Tools Format contextual tab, there are Text Effects > Shadow > Shadow Options. But this option outline controls both the text and the shadow.  So there appears to be more control, just not as much fine control as we would like. Well more control for some things. In 2003 you can control letter spacing, but in 2010 I have not found it. Correction, you can use the spacing that is found in the Font Dialog box > Advanced tab (ie you want to use that on Wa010Native to get spacing closer to 2003 ... <grin> ).

Observation, you have mislabeled Wa011native as Wa012native.  Since the doc is still a work in progress. , You will want to condense text spacing by 1 point, and you'll want to change the shadow color (HSL:0, 255, 77). I haven't figured out what to change to make the letters "fatter" like in the 2003 example.

How did you figure out which fonts to use in the 2010 recreations?

I see you still haven't been able to change the tip name displayed on the QAT ...

I tried playing with "Scale" but although it appears to have an effect while the text is selected, when I unselect the text the effect is gone.  What's up ... font engine?

It may be more work than you are willing to invest, but if you could, I for one would find it very useful as a learning tool if you included the specific customizations you use to recreate each of the 2003 presets in 2010.  Especially the "exotic" customizations like condensed/expanded letter spacing. It is not something I, for one, would usually think of because in the paste "text" formatting outside of the WordArt tab was not allowed, but now it is. ie:

Thanks for the good work.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've also discovered I can't replicate the stone patterns because the Word2010 doesn't allow a picture background. (I'm spending way too much time on this!)

Drawing Tools Format > Text Effects > Shadow option > Shadow Options > Shadow > angle: 240 > Distance: 38pt

Oh, simple fix for that one (if you know how. <grin> ).  Switch to PowerPoint 2010. It has the added option of Texture fill in Text. The texture is in the 3rd row of default texture gallery

Oops, not so easy.

The texture disappeared when pasted the PPT WordArt into Word 2010. Annoying!

I thought you could copy completed WordArt with "special" effects to the other apps ... <sigh> Maybe there is an extra trick I am missing.

I tried Paste Special, that didn't help.

Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 599 Applies to: