Word section breaks to force pages

Hi there

How would I force a particular page of a document ie. the first actual page of a document after cover and index, to always print on the right hand side (or always the next odd page of the whole document).

Odd page section break is not the thing as it is already an odd page as I insert a next page section break and restart page numbering so it is always page 1 of section 2 or 3.

The problem is we have started printing all documents double sided and if the contents run over more than 1 page then we end up with the actual first page of the document printed on the back side of the contents page which is not acceptable.

Is this possible at all please anyone - I have really struggled with this!

I don't seem to be able to do it with section breaks - what about an escape code or something that inserts a blank page (preferably not visible to the users) if the last page of section 2 is odd so it misses a page then starts on the next odd page (f the whole document).

I can't believe this has not been done already and would appreciate some guidance.

Many thanks

GwenR

Answer
Answer

By default, an Odd Page section break is what you want; it casuses Word to insert a completely blank even page at the end of the previous section if required (that is, if the previous section does not end on an even page). You will not see this blank page in Print Layout view. You can see it in Print Preview if you (a) display two pages (or more) and (b) have enabled either "Mirror margins" or "Different Odd and Even" headers and footers. You will then see facing pages.

If your printer is not duplexing correctly with this setup, then there is something odd going on.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 16, 2022 Views 759 Applies to: