word--review modes. getting a clean form (Word 2010)

Is there an article somewhere that lays out the procedures and modes of changes and review. Between "Mark as Final" under --File--info--protect document, and the enable editing choice, and the options under Review, and compatibility vs Convert, and finally the protection devices, I am totally confused. My secretary and I (she uses an older version) could not figure out how to remove with finality the showing of tracked changes on an AIA document. I finally had to send on in pdf mode. I had this issue last week and  incorrectly thought I had it figured out--namely by going to the permissions and doing Mark as Final, and then going to "accept changes" it would work, but when I save  in clean form (and I do get a clean form by choosing the "Final" option after mark as final), as soon as I attach or re-open, it shows all changes from the beginning of time--literally changes made a year ago on an unrelated transaction and I cannot make a permanent clean form. None of these problems with word perfect, sad to say.

Summary: Between all the modes, on top of which is a variety of protection modes, my accept changes and other view modes either get ghosted or else are virtually impossible to deal with. I can never tell which matrix is responsible for which modes, and there are seemingly a number of different matrixes operating simultaneously.  How specifically do I save a clean form which will open as such, and then allow myself the choice--with that clean form--of sending in a protected or unprotected mode.? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Displaying a document in Final view just hides the markup. In order to remove the markup and make sure that the document is as you see it in Final view, click the bottom of the Accept button in the Changes group on the Review tab and select Accept All Changes in Document. Then turn off Track Changes and Save.

This has nothing to do with protection, of which there are various kinds. If this is a protected form, then you can't make or accept changes unless you unprotect it. Mark as Final is a different kind of protection, which makes the document Read Only but does not remove your markup. If you have marked it as final, then you can't make any further changes (including accepting the changes you've already made). You'll have to remove the Read Only status, which you can do in Windows Explorer by right-clicking, choosing Properties, and removing the Read Only flag.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 432 Applies to: