Word Document Corrupt

I have a Sandisk Cruzer U3 flash drive.   I have some Word documents and Excel and some PDF files this drive.   After I connect the drive to my computer, I can see all of my files and documents on this drive.  They have the correct file extension.  The Word documents were saved as a 97-2003 document.   However, when I try to open the document in Word 2010, I get these funny looking Chinese characters and symbols.  

I have tried everything to fix the document.   No, I don't have any viruses on the flash drive.

Is the flash drive corrupt or the Word document?

You should never open Word documents directly from a flash drive. Nor should you save directly to or print from a flash drive. Instead, copy the file to the hard drive, open and work on it from there. After saving and closing the document, copy it back to the flash drive.

Failing to follow this procedure has likely resulted in corruption of the files, but if all the files are corrupted, then indeed the drive itself may be damaged.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

New File

1. Open the document that you were working with that you need to recover
  2. Click “File,” “Recent,” and “Recover Unsaved Documents” located at the bottom right of the dialog box.
  3. Select the file you want to recover from the Saved Drafts folder that appears. Click “Open.”
  4. Click “Save As” in the business bar along the top of the file, and rename the file as desired.

Previously Saved File

1. Open the document that you were working with that you need to recover.
  2. Click “File,” “Info” and under Versions, click the version “(When I Closed Without Saving).”
  3. Click “Restore” in the business bar at the top of the file to update the file to the last saved version of the document.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 333 Applies to: