Word 2010 : Watermark visibility on paper

I've encountered a small problem wit my watermarking of documents.
In the background of every document I make, there is a faint Weierstrass p () in the background based on the template I use.
However, I've discovered that its visibility varies when I print the document. I use the text color named "White, Background 1, 5% darker" (r/g/b 242), which is quite weak, but not too weak, as I want it to be somewhat faint and thereby not dominating. I've also hooked it up to be partially transparent.

Here is the deal: Whenever i print a blank page with little on no text the watermark is fine. If I use the automatic color setting on the printer, it is slightly lighter, but still tolerable. Unfortunately, if the page is covered with text, then a black-and-white print will have it considerably weaker. The same document printed with color will make the entire watermark disappear.

Is there someway to change this behavior, so the watermark stays non-dominating but still slightly visible on both a black-and-white and a print with color?

Old title: Watermark visibility on paper

Hi Peter,

How does it look in the print preview?

Try changing the default printer to Microsoft XPS Document writer as suggested in the following link and check if it helps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-default-printer

If this works, then update the printer drivers.

Reply with the results to assist you better.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for the assistance, Guruprasad!

It all looks fine in Word's the print preview, with both empty and full pages.
However, it preview the page with colors, regardless of the intensity.

Trying to print with the XPS writer also made no difference between full written pages or empty ones.
Like the print preview, the pages were print with colors.

It may therefore seem like it is the printer which is incapable of watermarking correctly.
I wounder if it may tread the light gray watermark as some sort of brown sometimes, and that the printer cannot manage to print the fine difference on colors correctly.

Sadly, I cannot update the drivers because of the restricted access on the computer the schools has provided my with.

Maybe I should try to print the document as either a picture, XPS or PDF? This does however sound like quite the pain. I also would have to do it after a couple of days, because the school is closed down during the holidays.

PS: What I tried to say in the first post was that my schools printer could not manage to use the same intensity on the watermark, if either the page is fully written, mostly empty or printed with different color settings. I mostly print with colors, but when others try to print the document they mostly use the black-and-white setting.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you look closely, I suspect you will find it an optical illusion. A matter of perception rather than an actual change in intensity of the watermark.  ie if you compare the water mark on both pages by cutting it out, excluding body text you'll see they are the same shade.

I can't find the right type of illustration, but here are some that are in the same ballpark:
http://brainden.com/color-blindness-tests.htm

aHA, HERE IS ONE OF THE ONES i AM THINKING OF:

here is a variation of "shading illusion" - these two cubes are the SAME color!

SOURCE: http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2007/07/optical-illusions-update.html

you may simply have to bump up the darkness of watermark to 7 or 10 %
As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That may very well be! They do seem to be of the same color.
But this still doesn't apply to the colored print. The watermark is definitely gone there.

By the way, how do I find more shading colors? The only ones available are 5%, 15%, 25%, 35% and 50% darker. I know that I could select some myself, but I would like to stick to the percentage. 15% is just to much. I could imagine 7% or 10%, like you suggested, Rohn007.

EDIT: I tried r/g/b 234, at it seems to be only slightly darker. I'll see if it solves the problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just notice that the transparency/washout box was checked. If I unchecked it, the watermark becomes somewhat stronger. How exactly does it influence the text-watermark?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

"Washout" is a setting used for picture watermarks that is a specific combination of brightness and contrast. If you access the header of your document and double-click on the watermark, you can format it directly using the Picture Tools.

With the header open, right-click the watermark and choose Format Picture. You'll see that Brightness is set to 85% and Contrast to 15%. It is very difficult to determine this from the Brightness and Contrast buttons on the Ribbon (unless you choose Picture Correction Options..., which opens the Format Picture Dialog). In any case, you can experiment with the Brightness and Contrast until you find a satisfactory balance.

Text watermarks use a 50% gray shade. The action of the "Semitransparent" check box is unclear, but historically, leaving it enabled sometimes leads to watermarks missing letters. Text watermarks are edited using the WordArt Tools. If you click the dialog launcher in the Size group, you get the Format WordArt dialog, which has more controls than the Ribbon.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There is more than one way of adding Watermarks.  The "old school" method of putting something in the header is more graphically oriented.  I suspect that is what you are doing.  The "newer" method is to use the Watermark feature in Page Layout.  It is more text oriented, but also can use pictures.

I guess the question to ask is exactly how are you putting in this watermark? Is it a "special" text character or a picture?

If you are using text, try this:

To change the grey level of text watermarks go to Page Layout tab > Page Background group > Watermark drop down > Custom Watermark command > Color drop down > MORE COLORS" > "Custom" tab. You need to Switch the Color Model to "HSL".  RGB will not do what you want, easily.

Ignore H value. Set S value to zero.  You want to adjust the Luminance (brightness) value until you find a color that suits your need.  Smaller L value gets blacker.
As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 3,609 Applies to: