Word 2010 - Form text field - size resets to default when printing or creating a PDF

Word 2010 - When I add text fields to a form, and need it to be larger than the default; I add the field, restrict editing to filling out forms, manually make the field the size I want, and then stop protection. 

Example, On this ___ day of ____________, 20__    Notice how the line for the month needs to be longer than the default size of a text field.

Ok.....for the past 21 years of using Word, whenever I create a PDF or just print the form, the field size stays as it appears above.  SUDDENLY, this past month, anytime I print or create a PDF, Word 2010 literally resizes my field BACK to the default size.  So it comes out like this:
On this ___ day of ___, 20__      

EDIT - Upon further testing what is happening is that Word is clearing the fields upon printing (or creating a PDF)

I tested this by entering default text (I used "hi").  I locked the form, entered data into the field, thus replacing the default text, and when I created the PDF file, it contained my default text ("hi").

Form w/ default text - on this ___  day of "hi", 20__ at 9:00 a.m

Form w/ data entered into locked field - on this 26th  day of November 2013 at 9:00 a.m

PDF RESULT - on this ___  day of "hi", 20__ at 9:00 a.m

HELP??

It may be that you can solve the problem by disabling "Update fields before printing" at File | Options | Display. But it seems you could also create a text form field the size you want by entering the desired number of underlines as default text. And why are you stopping protection? If you're using legacy form fields, you need to keep the form protected.
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 950 Applies to: