Why Outline format works in Outlook but not Word

I have posted this question about Outline formatting in Word and gotten links that pretend to address the issue; but don't. Oh, they provide lots of complicated workarounds but they don't address the issue: why, when you click the Outline icon in Word you enter a world of chaos, where nothing works as it should.

I know how Outline should work because when I am in Outlook, and click the same Outline Icon, I experience exactly what is expected.  The tab key indents; in as well as out, just as expected, the numbering system works just as expected and everything moves smoothly and without a hitch. 

But when I try to do the same thing in Word I end up with a mess of confusing issues; and nothing seems to work as expected!

So why does Outline in MS Outlook work perfectly while Outline in MS Word not work at all; unless you jump through a whole lot of hoops that you learn about from a long article; with an interesting horn players vs director analogy?

Answer
Answer

Even in multilevel lists, the Numbering or Bullets icon will be highlighted to indicate whether the current paragraph has numbers or bullets; it is not an indication that you're not in a multilevel list.

But if you select a multilevel list that is not already linked to specific styles, then Word applies the List Paragraph style, and all members of the list will use that style (unless you've selected the option to use Normal for lists). Whether you can use Tab and Shift+Tab depends on the AutoFormat As You Type setting already discussed, but you can always use Alt+Shift+Left/Right to promote/demote.

If you use (or create) a multilevel list linked to specific styles, then promoting/demoting the list level will also change the style. If you use one of the lists that is linked to heading styles, then pressing Enter in Print Layout view will give you a paragraph in the Normal style (not part of the list) because Normal is the "Style for following paragraph" of all the built-in heading styles. If you want to create an outline using heading styles, then you can work in Outline view, where pressing Enter gives you a new paragraph in the same heading style (and you can also use the Promote/Demote buttons on the Ribbon.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 13, 2022 Views 1,164 Applies to: