Why do Word track changes from multiple reviewers sometimes get combined when I save?

I'm noticing a glitch with Track Changes lately (doesn't seem to make a difference if there are edits from only one other reviewer or multiple), and I've confirmed that I'm not the only one experiencing it.  This has become a huge headache -- any help would be be GREATLY appreciated!  On Word 2010, I'm editing a document that was sent to me (sometimes from someone in my department, sometimes from someone in another department in my company, and sometimes from someone outside the company) with some redlines already in the document.  The previous reviewer's changes are in red, his name shows up in the Reviewers list in the "Show Markup" sub-menu, and when I hovor my mouse pointer over his changes, it gives me his name and the date/time of his edits. 

When I make my edits, they initially show up as blue. and if I go into the "Review" tab and select "Show Markup" and see the list of Reviewers, the previous editor(s) and I show up in different colors as separate reviewers.  However, sometimes (and I don't see any rhyme or reason to when it happens or doesn't) when I save (quick save or Save As, doesn't matter) the document, my edits change from blue to red.  Now, in the Show Markup" Reviewers list, the only reviewer is "author," and if I hover my pointer over my changes, or the previous editor's changes, both show "author" and all show the latest save time/date.   

This never happened until recently, and it's extremely problematic when I am trying to incorporate changes from multiple reviewers (some of whose edits "trump" the others' edits), or when I'm adding my changes to a multi-party document.  It doesn't matter if I'm saving to my desktop or to Sharepoint -- sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't, but if it happens once in a particular document, it will always happen in that document. 

Please help!

Answer
Answer
If any one of the reviewers has used the Document Inspector to "remove personal information" from the file, then that flag gets set, and the document will be saved with that setting from then on until you remove it. Go to File | Options | Trust Center | Trust Center Settings | Privacy Options and clear the check box for "Remove personal information from file properties on save."
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 26, 2024 Views 4,024 Applies to: