When a complete table splitted into pages...How can I???

ban word from splitting it in the first place..

then if the table is too long to hold within one page, how can I ban word from applying the style again?????

my table style is like this to be exact

now the quest is, when the table has to cross this page, there should be if you try, at least 4 bold lines in total as word reapply the style, but all I need is only 2, one bold at the very top, and the other at the very bottom. Now what should I do to get it right???

let me expand this further,

let's say the table is splitted inevitably,  how can I get word to add text AUTOMATICALLY, such as "Continued from Table x"at the top left of the rest of the table in the new page and if when this table is adjusted to display within a page, the auto-text disappear AUTOMATICALLY????

any solution regarding this is hugely appreciated!!

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/ControlPgBrksInTables.htm for the breaking issue.

As for the Continued notice, there is no way to do this automatically. The best you can get is "Table X--continued." To accomplish this, you have to put the Table caption (the part that says "Table X") in the top row of the table itself and designate the row as a repeating row. Instead of "Table X," you put "Table X--continued." You then create a borderless white shape or text box to cover "--continued." This object must be anchored outside the repeating row (somewhere in the first row below the repeating header rows is best) so that it does not repeat.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

... put the Table caption (the part that says "Table X") in the top row of the table itself and designate the row as a repeating row. Instead of "Table X," you put "Table X--continued." You then create a borderless white shape or text box to cover "--continued." This object must be anchored outside the repeating row (somewhere in the first row below the repeating header rows is best) so that it does not repeat.

I don't quite get this ma'am, can you be more specific??

maybe steps in a gif? or just serial pictures?

pretty please..

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

and this http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/ControlPgBrksInTables.htm ain't working the style problem out.. I need only 2 bold lines in the whole table no matter how many pages it's broken into.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I see I misunderstood part of your question; although the referenced article should be helpful, a more pointed one is http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/KeepTableOn1Page.htm.

When you apply a bottom border, Word automatically applies it at the bottom of a page. The only way to avoid this is to manually remove the bottom border from that bottom row on the page.

As for the continued heading, here's how it would appear on the first and following pages:

And here's how the heading row is constructed (the shape is a white rectangle with no line):

I found that, even with the insertion point in the second row, when I drew the rectangle in the first row, the anchor was in the first row. Here's how to remedy that:

1. Drag the anchor to the second row; this will move the shape to the second row (of course, you probably have at least one more row of headings below the table caption, so you'll drag the anchor to whatever is the first data row).
  2. Right-click on the shape and choose More Layout Options...
  3. Check the box for "Lock anchor." That will keep the anchor locked to the second row.
  4. Now drag the shape back where it needs to be.

Obviously, you may have a title after the table number--just stick "(continued)" after the title. I actually prefer the syntax "--continued," but covering the dash without touching text is tricky; it's easier with a space between the title and the "continued" part.

Fairhope, Alabama USA

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

just don't know how you made it Ms.Suz, but there was obviously no anchor in my test, no lock with T, and no circle x marks except para marks if anything...

and I think it's not even a normal table in your pictures.

plus, I don't see how I can possibly bulkly processs all my tables with this

and when I set header row to be without border, I destroy my 3-line table style(not the one below) and by far I've had no way to fix that,

and I simply don't know why you can't update a table style to match a certain table as you do with the text styles.,

The biggest point is can't word just do it itself without bothering users to adjust and repeat the header row, and provide customized continued notice??

simply put it another way, if MS lose the passion for efficiency and automation, how can I reach my potential to achieve them???

thank you for the links, but still it's more of a table STYLE issue than a table breaking issue..

you see the bold lines across the pages?? they're not supposed to exist, 'cuz they've benn shown at the top and the very bottom of this table. I need normal lines to replace them!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The anchor is not displayed unless you have it "Object anchors" or "Show all formatting marks" checked at File | Options | Display. The "circles" are end-of-cell markers. The markers in your cells look like line breaks or text-wrapping breaks, but perhaps that is a peculiarity of the font in use. My table had no borders, just the table gridlines, so it looks different.

As I said before, the only way to avoid the heavy lines at the tops and bottoms of pages is to manually change them, and no, there's no way to automate any of this, but that's the current state of Word. You may not like the answer, but that is the answer.

Fairhope, Alabama USA

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

..the only way to avoid the heavy lines at the tops and bottoms of pages is to manually change them..

I've found that I can just set the top of header row to be with bold line, and as with the bottom of total row, BUT but, shall you try this you should find the bottom bold line missing, an application error there??? any solution?

Yeeeeeeeeah Ma'am, I'm kinda disappointed when I find Word cannot help students deal with advanced or even some of the basic format norms.. and seems MS has just totally been contented with what Word can currently actualise ever since dunno, '03 or XP. Didn't find the passion any more, and no more thrill in any other o'prod'. and I think ribbon occupies even more working space than its classical counterparts while responding not so fast as them, maybe that's why W'8, O'13 both hide it automatically..but that would be almost the same as classical menu except for more (enlarged) icons.. perhaps ribbon is just a failing attempt to simplify and integrate MS program functions..

I think powerpoint is now no longer the best choice for presentation, have you ever used Prezi, Powtoon ma'am? You have any recommendations for my report?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've got a way to solve this recently ma'am, yet it's still imperfect, just an alternative to yours, I did that via header. But you need to do some tricks,

Ⅰget the table broken into 2 pages

Ⅱplace a continuous section break on each end of the table

Ⅲ edit the header of the second page and doNOT link to the previous page, like "Table Continued", the pity is no automation either(neither cross reference/caption/field) though, and don't know how to catch the table caption like "Table x-y" automatically.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 3, 2024 Views 1,006 Applies to: