TOC too wide for page

Split from this thread.

Hello again - I'm back with another problem that probably has an obvious answer I'm missing.

I go to print my document and discover that the TOC is too wide for the page - the numbers are off the right hand side. I would modify it to remove the leaders (or shorten the leaders if I could) but I don't find anything in your articles that says how to bring up the dialogue box without inserting a new TOC.

I have my TOC all set up and working in three documents with number suppression on levels 1 and three per your trick, So I don't want to lose all that and start over. Is there another way to modify things like leader length?

Thanks,

Jack P.

Answer
Answer

You need to modify the position of the right aligned tab in the TOC styles.

You can do that via the Insert Table of Contents facility and then click on the Modify button on the Table of Contents tab of the Table of Contents dialog and then select each of the TOC # Styles in turn and click on the Modify button in the Style dialog and then in the Modify Style dialog, click on Format and then on Tabs and set a right aligned tab stop at the desired location. 

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 2, 2024 Views 1,764 Applies to: