Text wrap not working as I need when inserting an image into a paragraph

I want to insert an image into several pages of running text. I want the image to be located at the top of the page and to fill the full width of the page. I want the text preceding the image to run to the bottom of the page before the image then to continue directly underneath the image. If I amend the text, particularly the text on the page preceding the image, I want the text to flow around the image, but always to reach to the bottom of the page before the image and always to resume immediately after it. 

So, I insert the image and then choose 'top and bottom' text wrapping, and at this point the text and image look how want them. But when I make changes to the text, a big gap appears at the bottom of the page before the image. It seems that when the text before and after the image is part of the same paragraph, it doesn't want to flow properly. If I make paragraph breaks in the text before and after the image, then, if the resulting paragraph is small enough, it will jump into the gap before the image (on the previous page). If I take out the paragraph breaks, then the text doesn't want to stay there - it jumps below the image again, leaving a gap at the bottom of the page before the image.

lt feels like what I want to do is a very basic layout function, so I'm at a loss as to why it won't work, or why I can't find any answers to the problem on the forums I've searched (including this one).

Thanks for any help you can provide. 
Hi,

will you be able to share us the file?
upload the file using skydrive so that we can access it.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Very many thanks for your reply. I have now posted two documents to the public section of my Skydrive (is this the right way to share the files? I haven't used this service before).

My problem is on page 53. I have inserted an image to the top of the page. It is inserted as in-line by default, and the surrounding text looks like I want it to. Of course, if I add a few lines of text to page 52, then the image will be pushed down page 53, which I don't want.

When I change the text wrap option of the image to top-and-bottom, then the text of the paragraph that I have inserted it into (which is longer than half a page) stays together and jumps underneath the image, creating a gap on page 53. I don't understand why the text of that paragraph doesn't flow either side of the image, filling up the space to the bottom of page 52.

The two documents at the link below show the result of inserting the image in-line and top-and-bottom.

Incidentally, once I have resolved this issue of inserting an image properly, I will be wanting to insert a text box and a second image on page 53 so that they collectively occupy the whole page, and so the the running text flows to the bottom of page 52 and then continues on page 54. I'm assuming that solving the first problem will enable me to do this.

Thanks again for any enlightenment you can provide.

Regards,

Paul

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've got similar problem:

I've got text with two columns in my document and I want to insert a figure and a text box that should together reserve one whole page. However, if I set text wrap option to above and below and position relative to the page (as I want to be able to make modifications to the text and keep the figure fixed) the preceding paragraf gets splitted into single lines, each on its own page and the last line is placed under the text box I've inserted despite the text wrap options.

What causes this kind of odd behaviour (splitting paragraf into several pages) and how can I fix this?

I'm using Word 2010 and all updates have been installed.

I've got screenshot of this problem here: http://sdrv.ms/15Nt2T5

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you have object anchors displayed, you'll see what the issue is. Note that the picture is anchored to the paragraph below it. It must stay on the same page as the paragraph to which it is anchored. If you drag the anchor to the next paragraph (on the next page), you'll see that the text wraps the way you want it to.

When you drag the anchor, the picture stays put, but its position is defined relative to the paragraph it's anchored to. If you add more text on the preceding page, the picture will move down with that paragraph. To ensure that it stays at the top of the page, select the picture and select the contextual Picture Tools | Format tab. In the Arrange group, click on Position and choose More Layout Options...

In the Layout | Position dialog, set the position as Left relative to Column and Top relative to Margin. That will ensure that the picture will stay at the top of the page as text moves around it. FWIW, you can also set the wrapping to Square rather than Top and Bottom. Since the picture is full margin width, this will amount to the same thing.

An unrelated bit of advice: it is conventional in book typography to use a first-line indent on paragraphs with no space between. I see you're using Normal style for all your text. I would strongly advise using styles appropriately (this makes it much easier to format the book. For the bulk of the body text, you could use Body Text First Indent (modified as necessary). I see you've used Heading 1 for your chapter titles, but you haven't modified it to add the desired Spacing Above and Below; doing so would eliminate the need for empty paragraphs above and below. Also, a subtitle such as "The 1930s" on page 71 could use another heading style, and it should be centered using centered paragraph formatting rather than roughly centered with spaces.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Suzanne,

Thank you so much for this reply. I've applied the changes you suggested and, hey presto! The image in question now behaves as I want it to. Although the fact that the image needs to be anchored to a paragraph seems odd to me - is it not possible to anchor to a page?

Now, however, I'm having difficulty completing the second stage of the operation I wanted to do on that page: to add a text box and second image so that they take up all of the page (ie no running paragraph text on that page), and so that the paragraph wraps from the page preceding this page of images to the page following it. I have uploaded the document as it stands to the Skydrive. The page in question is now page 58. I have added a text box and grouped this with the first image. I have also added a second image directly below this image/text box group. The paragraph that both the image/text box group and the second image are anchored to now starts directly under the second image. But I want it to start on the next page, leaving no paragraph text on page 58. When I try to push it off this page, however, the images jump away from where I want them again. Is it possible to create a 'blank' page in the middle of a paragraph, to be used for images, and to have the paragraph text flow immediately before and after that textless page? I have tried to add an empty text box under the second image, but that doesn't work.

This is quite an important formatting task as we want to have lots of these 'images-and-captions-only' pages throughout the book. 

In the meantime, thank you also for the other formatting advice. I've now put most of those into practice. I had intended to do some of them at some point, but our time is running out before the book has to be printed. I'm grateful for the nudge into action! 

A bit of background on this project: it's a book being written by my father about the history of his local brass band (celebrating 140 years this year). My father has had a computer for several years but is a severe technophope,who has difficulties picking up even the very basics of Windows and rudimentary applications. He typed his emails with a single finger until I bought him some dictation software, which revolutionised his view of the computer and made the emails an awful lot longer. He has 'written' the book by dictating his text into emails and sending them to a friend who copy-pasted the text into her Word (he did not have it until recently). Then, when the text was complete, she sent it to me to start the process of formatting for publication. The amount of work that needed to be done would have given you a fright! And as you can see, there is still a lot of scope for refinement. The same friend has the image files and is now inserting them into the text at the appropriate points with my father. But she is not au fait with the finer points of formatting and so it's my job to sort that out so that the text flows properly (I live in a different country to them, so can't join them directly to help out).

I bought and installed Office for my father a few weeks ago so he could view and amend the book as we put it together for him.

Thanks and regards,

Paul

PS As a fan of creative graffiti, I enjoyed looking at the photographs of local stencils in your blog!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No, Word doesn't let you anchor an object to a page. You can position the object relative to the page edges, but the anchor always resides in a particular paragraph (and the object is always on the same page as the anchor).

Keeping a picture alone on a page and have text flow past it, from (say) page 5 to page 7 really isn't supported in Word.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm glad you enjoyed the stencils. I'm now wondering about new stencils saying "OSS" on the backs of traffic signs (in an entirely different location).

As Stefan says, because Word is word processing software rather than page layout software, it is not possible to have any kind of wrapped object alone on a page because any wrapped graphic has to be anchored to a text paragraph, and text will not flow around that inline paragraph.

Here's what you have to do to give the appearance of wrapping text around a full-page object:

1. Wait until editing is complete and you know the text will not change or reflow.
  2. At the bottom of the page that will precede the graphic, you will insert a page break. If you can break the page at the end of a paragraph, so much the better. If not, break the paragraph first with a line break (so that the last line on the page is justified) and then a paragraph break followed by the page break. You'll need to select the paragraph break and format it as 1 point or (if that doesn't suffice) as Hidden so that it doesn't wrap to the next page.
  3. On the next page, insert your full-page object, followed (just for good measure, though technically it shouldn't be necessary) by a page break.
  4. On the page after the graphic, your text will continue. If you had to break a paragraph in the middle, the second half of the paragraph will now have an unwanted first-line indent, so apply Body Text (not indented) in place of Body Text First Indent to just that paragraph.

In other words, you are really splitting the text drastically, but with these techniques, it will appear to flow continuously from the page before the graphic to the one after it. Of course, if you can keep the graphics to less than a page, it's much easier to deal with them.

Good luck on the book. It looks like it's going to be quite interesting. Looking at the TOC, I'm thinking you might want to look at http://WordFAQs.mvps.org/TOCTips.htm#UnnumberedHeadings.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 31, 2024 Views 8,130 Applies to: