Restore Cropped Picture From Cropped Out Portion - DATA IS STILL THERE!!!

All,

I cropped several photos, then lost the edited photos. However, I found the "leftover" part of the original picture that I had edited out with the crop, with a dark, blank space over the rest of the picture, which I had cropped "in" to the newer, edited pic.

I know the data is still there. I can see the full pic on the thumbnail view, AND, sometimes when I open the pic in Microsoft Office 2010, I will see the full original pic for a split second, before the darkened space reappears over the part of the picture that I originally cropped "in". Also, when I enlarge by using Ctrl + Mouse Up, it will still display the full original pic on the thumbnail until it gets big enough to a certain point, then the dark portion appears over the originally "kept" part of the picture again. 

I have tried every tool on the toolbar and I can't see how anything else in the program can help to restore the original pic, but there has to be a way... can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

Mo

Mo,

From your description, it does sound like the original image is still there (i.e., you apparently haven't compressed and saved the picture using the Compress Pictures option on the far left side of the Picture Tools>Format ribbon, which would strip out the cropped material). While we wait for one of the experts to reply, I'd suggest the following:

1. Select a picture that has been cropped.
  2. Click on the Picture Tools>Format tab.
  3. On the left side, in the Adjust group, drop down the arrow next to Reset Picture.
  4. Select Reset Picture & Size.

That should restore the image to its original size and shape.

Another approach is to just select the cropped picture and choose Crop again. If the cropped material hasn't been compressed/removed, you should see the original material, albeit darkened. Just grab a cropping handle and drag it back out to the original size.  (You'll need to do that dragging more than once if you had cropped on more than one side.)

Assuming either of the above techniques is successful, I'd suggest you right-click and "Save As Picture" for each image you restore to its original size/shape. Don't want to suffer through that all again . . .

Hope this is useful.

Best regards,

Phil

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Phil,

Thank you so much for your timely reply. However, I don't think I have those tabs. I'm using Microsoft Office 2010 to view the picture. I have a Pictures tab and a Tools tab, but I don't have anywhere that leads to an option to format. It sounds like that may be what I need though. 

Any other suggestions? 

Thanks again!

Mo

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Phil,

Actually... I'm not exactly sure why these partial pics are still saved at all. I'm pretty sure I had cropped them down to edit. But... if so, why would I still have a copy of the "leftovers" of the original pic saved, with a browned-out area over the portion of the picture that I wanted to save? 

I tried a demo version of an image recovery software program, but it didn't do anything.

I think this has to be a good mystery for someone with skills/knowledge about this stuff. The data for the whole pic is definitely still there, but it just won't open. It's quite perplexing. Hopefully, one of the experts you alluded to will take an interest. 

Thanks!
Mo

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When you select the picture, the contextual Picture Tools | Format tab is the one that appears. You can use the Crop tool to "uncrop" the picture. But it sounds like what you've got is the cropped-off portion and not the center, so that wouldn't work.
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 5, 2024 Views 21,086 Applies to: