Replacing Microsoft Word 2010 Template Files

I really need some help in dealing with Word template files.  Here's what's going on...

I just read through Shauna Kelly's information on Word templates and how a document inherits characteristics from the template upon creation and then severs most ties with template and becomes a standalone entity.  This all sounds well and fine, however, I'm experiencing just the opposite.

We have a document that's based on a custom template stored on our server.  When we open any document based on this template, the document appears to reach out and reload the template and update its styles based on the current status of the template file.  I have two examples that demonstrate this behavior.  First, the documents based on this template contain header and paragraph numbering that are used throughout the document.  I found that the numbering wasn't aligning correctly so I went to the template and fixed all of the alignment issues, then saved and closed the template.  I then opened an existing (and supposedly standalone) document that uses the custom template and all of the number alignments were also corrected.  Secondly, we have another document based upon this template that we went through and modified the Heading Styles in order to fit more content per page.  The problem with this document is that whenever we re-open it, it apparently re-reads the custom template file and restores all of the original heading styles. There doesn't seem to be a way to break this linkage at start up so that I can have a differently-formatted document based upon the same template.

I experimented with changing the template for our documents back to the Normal.dotm template, but that appeared to do nothing.  Our custom template has several company-defined styles added to it and has modifications to the default heading styles.  When I replaced our custom template with the normal template, I was expecting to see our styles disappear and get replaced by the default styles in the normal template but this did not occur.  And, yes, I tried the checkbox for automatically updating styles, but it made no difference.  All of our custom-defined styles remained exactly as the were.   By the way, we are running Word 2010 with SP2, so it should all be up-to-date. 

So, in short, this is the exact opposite of what is supposed to be happening and I am at a loss as to how this could be occurring.

Personally, I would prefer that the document stayed tied to its template unless you specifically break the link as it would be nice to have several different templates with varying styles that could be plugged into any document.  In other words, if I want my documents to have a modern look today, I use the modern template.  If I want them to look old fashioned, I change the document template to old fashioned and, voila!, the document looks old fashioned. This doesn't seem to have been the plan, however.

I really don't understand why you would want to automatically sever ties with the template upon creation, but that's what I'm reading about how Word works.  However, my experience is showing me that there are some definite links, at least with our documents, still in place.

I would certainly appreciate any thoughts or explanations of what is going on here and what behavior I should expect.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi confused,

It is just enough to assign Normal as the template to stop a document (not a template) that is travelling outside your firm to be opened quickly and not try looking for an attached template that does not exist.

If one creates DOCUMENTS from Templates by doing File New to create a new Document that references the link but allows you to add Normal as the attached template if you send your documents outside the office in Word format and not PDF.

When you attach a new TEMPLATE (dotx or dotm) you must check the box Automatically update document styles as below in screenshot. Then you must SAVE the document. Then you must uncheck the Automatically update document styles and SAVE the template you have created or the document. This is where macros are useful.

There are other factors also - how you set up styles (correctly or not so well), are you using the same style names - otherwise what is going to update!!!

It does require some thought.

As far as severing ties, as explained above if the document is going to be sent externally the template is not attached because the document cannot find it as it resides on your network not theirs. You need to put Normal and just save the document - you do not need to update the styles. This prevents a Word document looking for a template that does not exists but within the confines of your network. The styles travel with a document if they are told to on creation. Again - it takes a fair bit of reading to pull together all the options for setting up templates and using them. Most people send a PDF which prevents finding an attached template (which does not exist) a problem.

Hope this clears it up a little bit for you.

Regards

janinecrutch.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

In the dialog Janine shows, make sure that the box for "Automatically update document styles" is not checked. That would cause the behavior you're seeing.
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Janine, while I appreciate your trying to assist, you either didn't read my post or didn't understand it.

I'm not trying to transfer the documents externally at all, so I don't care whether the document tries to look for the template or not.  That is not the issue that I'm having.

The behavior of my Word document is the opposite of what I've read that it should be and I would like it to work as it is supposed to.  I am at a loss as to why it is misbehaving, but it is according to Shauna Kelly's articles and others that I have read.

The document contains custom styles with custom names as well as some modifications to existing styles in the Normal template.  Replacing our custom template with the Normal template has no impact on the document whatsoever, whether I check the apply styles box or not.  The document will not allow me to modify any of the default styles from the Normal template because it updates them to those contained in the custom template every time the document is opened.  It should not be doing this.  The latest template applied should have priority or, in other words, should completely replace the template that the document is based upon.  However, it won't do this.

Does anyone else have any other ideas as to what could be going on here?

So many bits, so little time...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Your experience is so far from the norm that I cannot fathom it. I could achieve this behavior but it would not be easy and would have to be deliberate. It could be done through use of document variables or properties and macros contained in an Add-In.

My assumptions:
1 - you have a document - not a template.
2 - it was created as a document by Word, not simply renamed.
3 - it was created using File > New or by double-clicking on the template.

What happens if you are in safe mode? Do you observe the same behavior?

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Mr. Kenyon,

Thanks for your reply!  You've nailed it on the head.  This is such strange behavior that I cannot imagine how we got here.  I have been using Word now for over 20 years, so I think I know my way around it quite well and then something like this happens.

As for your assumptions, let me try to address them one-by-one:

1.  I am currently dealing with documents that are based upon our custom-made template.  Our template was created as a standard template file, .dotx, and then saved as such.  The documents based on the template inherited their styles from the template as they should have.  There are about a dozen custom-named styles and then the Headings styles from the Normal template have been modified to match our custom-made styles.  By using the built-in Heading styles, it makes it automatic to create Tables of Contents for the documents.

2. I'm not clear on what you mean here.  The template was created as a template and the documents are based upon this template by going to File --> New and then selecting our template to create the new document from.  We end up with Document1, which we then save to whatever filename that we need.  It is already a .docx file, so there is no format change necessary when saving.

3.  See no. 2, above.

I have not tried safe mode, but will do so and report back when I get a chance.  I'm not sure that it will make a difference, though, as we have no add-ins or macros or anything else added to the Word installation.  Word is using its standard installation.

Again, thanks for your input!  I'll let you know how it goes in the next day or two.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When you have time would you mind uploading your dotx template with removing confidential date first. We may get a better understanding of your problem.

janinecrutch.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay, I'm back again.  Sorry to be so slow in getting back to this topic, but I was out for the holliday and then had much to catch up on when I got back into the office.

I tried Word in safe mode to see if that would make any difference, but it did not.

I then decided that I would create some new templates and test their behavior.  Here is what I found.

I created two template files with each using just three built-in styles from the Normal template:  Normal, Heading 1, and Heading 2.  For one template, I modified the Normal font so that I could see any changes that occurred there.  I also modified the font, font size, and style of the text for both Heading 1 and Heading 2, with each heading being unique.  Then I saved the files as Template 1 and Template 2 in the Word Template format with a .dotx extension.

I then created a document using Template 1 and without doing anything else, changed the template file to Template 2.  As expected, all three styles were updated to the styles in template Template 2.  I then did the experiment again, but started with a file based on Template 2 and changed it to Template 1.  Again, the results were as expected with all three styles changing to those that I had used in creating Template 1.

Next, I created a file based upon Template 1 and changed it to the Normal template.  Here, I ran into ,what was for me, unexpected behavior.  After changing back to the Normal template, only the text styled as Normal changed.  The heading styles remained as I defined them in Template 1.  Weird.  I tried this again using a file based upon Template 2 with the same results.  Normal text updated, headings did not.

Finally, I tried one last thing.  I started with a document based upon Template 2.  I then changed the font of the line with the Heading 1 style, but did not modify the style itself.  When I then changed the document to Template 1, I expected the line with Heading 1 to change to the defined selections in the template, but that's not really what happened.  The font for Heading 1 remained the new font that I had chosen, but the color of the font changed to what was in the template for heading 1.

So, after all of this I am left rather confused as to how templates do and should work.

1. Is the Normal template a special template that doesn't follow the general template rules?
  2. How is one to know what styles will and will not be impacted by changing a document's template back to the Normal template?
  3. If someone has applied a change to a built in style like I did by changing the font, is there a way of telling how changing the file's template will impact that particular text?
  4. If one wants to protect some text from being altered by a template change is there a way to remove all styles from that text?

As to number 4, I have seen some documents that had text in them that appeared not to be associated with any style.  At least they weren't associated with any style listed in the Quick Styles.  I looked for a way to disassociate the text from any of the styles, but was unable to find anything.

I also tested whether or not a template change would have any impact on an existing document.  To do this, I created a document based on Template 1 and then saved and closed it.  I then edited Template 1 and saved and closed it.  I then reopened the original document to see if there were any changes and there were not.  This is what I was expecting to see, but is not what is occuring with the original documents mentioned in this thread.  They behave in the opposite fashion.  Any change in the template is updated into an existing document as soon as it is opened.

My next step is to repeat my tests with Office 2013 to see what happens there.

Any thoughts or comments on these findings are most welcome.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay, I'm back again.  Sorry to be so slow in getting back to this topic, but I was out for the holliday and then had much to catch up on when I got back into the office.

I tried Word in safe mode to see if that would make any difference, but it did not.

So, after all of this I am left rather confused as to how templates do and should work.

1. Is the Normal template a special template that doesn't follow the general template rules?
  2. How is one to know what styles will and will not be impacted by changing a document's template back to the Normal template?

You put a lot into one post. I will try to address it part by part. While I am doing that, you should be reading all of Templates in Microsoft Word and then the How to Create a Template, Part 2, by John McGhie (the link is on the first page).

Is the Normal template a special template that doesn't follow the general template rules?

Yes. See link above. The Normal template is the super template.

How is one to know what styles will and will not be impacted by changing a document's template back to the Normal template?

What you read in Shauna's webpage is gospel. See also What happens when I send my document to someone else? Will Word mess up my formatting?

more to come

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

• 3. If someone has applied a change to a built in style like I did by changing the font, is there a way of telling how changing the file's template will impact that particular text?
  • 4. If one wants to protect some text from being altered by a template change is there a way to remove all styles from that text?

As to number 4, I have seen some documents that had text in them that appeared not to be associated with any style.  At least they weren't associated with any style listed in the Quick Styles.  I looked for a way to disassociate the text from any of the styles, but was unable to find anything.

I also tested whether or not a template change would have any impact on an existing document.  To do this, I created a document based on Template 1 and then saved and closed it.  I then edited Template 1 and saved and closed it.  I then reopened the original document to see if there were any changes and there were not. 

Reply part 2. You put a lot into one post. I will try to address it part by part. While I am doing that, you should be reading all of Templates in Microsoft Word and then the How to Create a Template, Part 2, by John McGhie (the link is on the first page). (Repeated because I really mean it.)

If someone has applied a change to a built in style like I did by changing the font, is there a way of telling how changing the file's template will impact that particular text?

Yes. So long as the document does not say to update styles from the template, the styles in the document are fixed. If styles are based upon one another (and they probably should be) a change to a base style in the document will change dependent styles.

If one wants to protect some text from being altered by a template change is there a way to remove all styles from that text?

There is no such thing as text without a style in Microsoft Word. Period. Again, no change of template will, in and of itself, change existing styles in an existing document.

I have seen some documents that had text in them that appeared not to be associated with any style.  At least they weren't associated with any style listed in the Quick Styles.  I looked for a way to disassociate the text from any of the styles, but was unable to find anything.

Again, there is no such thing as text without any style in Word. Most styles are not Quick Styles. Some of the most-used styles are Quick Styles. When you make a custom style, you need to designate it as a Quick Style if you want it there.

I also tested whether or not a template change would have any impact on an existing document.  To do this, I created a document based on Template 1 and then saved and closed it.  I then edited Template 1 and saved and closed it.  I then reopened the original document to see if there were any changes and there were not.

This is the expected behavior.

You have some more reading: Understanding Styles in Microsoft Word  and Tips for Understanding Styles in Word .

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also tested whether or not a template change would have any impact on an existing document.  To do this, I created a document based on Template 1 and then saved and closed it.  I then edited Template 1 and saved and closed it.  I then reopened the original document to see if there were any changes and there were not.  This is what I was expecting to see, but is not what is occuring with the original documents mentioned in this thread.  They behave in the opposite fashion.  Any change in the template is updated into an existing document as soon as it is opened.

Response 3

As originally stated, the behavior observed with the original documents is bizarre and not subject to explanation without actually looking at them.

Janine asked you to post one of these problem documents. That is really the only way anyone can tell you what is going on with it.

You can fill a document with random text using the Rand function. The rand "virus": or how to insert dummy text into a document.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 471 Applies to: