recovering unsaved documents after restart

Hello,
My baby sister's computer restarted randomly while she was working on a report for school. She hadn't saved it at all when it happened so we've got nothing left. I tried the recovering saved document thing that word has but there's not there. She's using Word 2010 and she started another document right after it happened and saved it under the default name it chooses. I'm wondering if this new saved document saved over the unsaved back up or if there is something we've just missed. any help is appreciated.
Answer
Answer

Computers do not restart "randomly." They restart after installing updates, and generally they give some warning before doing so. If the document was never saved, it's unlikely there'll be anything to recover, but your sister can avoid this situation in future by changing the Windows Update setting. Most likely she has it set to the default (and recommended) setting of "Install updates automatically." She should change that to at least "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them" or, even better, "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download or install them."

I prefer the last setting because I am offered many updates I don't need; because I have several versions of Office installed, I am offered updates to the Junk E-mail Filter for three different versions of Outlook even though I'm running only one version. Since I have a painfully slow Internet connection, I don't want to download updates I don't need. With either of these settings, however, your sister will get a chance to decide when to install updates and will be prompted to restart Windows, but she will have plenty of time to save files and close running programs.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 30, 2024 Views 13,974 Applies to: