Numbered paragraph styles synchronized with Heading X styles

Hallo everybody.

I have a problem creating outline numbered lists bound to the corresponding Heading X styles. In Word 2010, I need to create a group of styles (let us name them HL1, HL2, ... HL9). These styles are intended for numbering paragraphs in multi-level list. At that, the styles should not have outline level. The main requirement is that the styles should comply with the corresponding styles of outline-leveled headings (i.e., Heading 1, Heading 2, ... Heading 9).

An example of a target block of paragraphs is listed below (the corresponding style name is shown in brackets at the beginning of each paragraph):

1 (Heading 1) text of heading of level 1
1.1 (HL2) text of numbered paragraph
1.2 (HL2) text of numbered paragraph
1.3 (Heading 2) text of heading of level 2
1.3.1 (HL3) text of numbered paragraph
1.3.2 (HL3) text of numbered paragraph
2 (Heading 1) text of heading of level 1
2.1 (HL2) text of numbered paragraph
2.2 (Heading 2) text of heading of level 2
2.2.1 (HL3) text of numbered paragraph

As it shown in the example, the HL2 style is synchronized in numbering with Heading 1, the HL3 style is synchronized with Heading 2 and so on. At that, the style of equal “position”, for example, HL2 and Heading 2 have the same numbering flow. Such fragments of text are typical in legal documents or in description of requirements.

To implement such styles, I tried several approaches:
1. I created style HL1 on the base of style Heading 1, style HL2 - on the base of Heading 2, etc. The created styles do not suit me because I cannot change number format in the styles (via Format>Numbering...), so the number format remains inherited from the corresponding Heading n style, which is not admissible for numbering body paragraphs.
2. I created paragraph styles HL1, HL2, ... HL9. Then I created multi-level list with references to the corresponding HLn style on the list levels. In the result, the HLn do synchronize between each other, but they do not synchronize with the corresponding parent Heading n styles.

I need a solution (detailed instruction) that I would be able to reproduce both manually and then in VBA code. Is it feasible?

Regards, Yuri.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Yes it is possible to set up a document like this but it can be a bit fragile.

The basic method corresponds with your approach #1.

1. Set all the headings to the same outline numbering series so that the numbering is the way you want it.

2. Now create the HL styles one at a time to be based on their corresponding heading but have their attributes changed to match the look of the body text.

You can change the number and text position of the HL styles but can't go back to redefine the outline number series without running into problems.

It is possible to set this up in VBA code but doing so will require you to specify exactly how each of these styles should look and behave (ie. we don't have enough information to do this in your post).

Andrew Lockton
Melbourne Australia

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes it is possible to set up a document like this but it can be a bit fragile.

The basic method corresponds with your approach #1.

1. Set all the headings to the same outline numbering series so that the numbering is the way you want it.

2. Now create the HL styles one at a time to be based on their corresponding heading but have their attributes changed to match the look of the body text.

You can change the number and text position of the HL styles but can't go back to redefine the outline number series without running into problems.

It is possible to set this up in VBA code but doing so will require you to specify exactly how each of these styles should look and behave (ie. we don't have enough information to do this in your post).

Guessed, thank you for the answer.

When I create, for example, style HL2, I cannot re-define the number format correctly. I select Format>Numbering and then cannot pick an appropriate list. When I click Define new number format, I cannot specify the required format for level 2, etc. When I try to change the font format directly in the .dot file, Word changes the format, also it correspondingly changes format of the Heading 2 style.

May be, I did not understand you, then, please, provide more detailed instruction.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Any modifications to the multilevel list must be applied via the Heading styles. Click the first Heading 1 paragraph of your document and then click Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New Multilevel List.

As Guessed wrote, you cannot change the numbering of the styles that are based on headings. If you try, the numbering will break.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Any modifications to the multilevel list must be applied via the Heading styles. Click the first Heading 1 paragraph of your document and then click Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New Multilevel List.

As Guessed wrote, you cannot change the numbering of the styles that are based on headings. If you try, the numbering will break.

Stefan, I did as you wrote and did not resolve my problem.

I created a new multilevel list on the base of Heading X structure and attached to its levels the corresponding HLn styles. The result is:

1 (Heading 1) text of heading of level 1
1.1 (HL2) text of numbered paragraph
1.2 (HL2) text of numbered paragraph
1.1 (Heading 2) text of heading of level 2
1.2.1 (HL3) text of numbered paragraph
1.2.2 (HL3) text of numbered paragraph
2 (Heading 1) text of heading of level 1
1.3 (HL2) text of numbered paragraph
2.1 (Heading 2) text of heading of level 2
1.3.1 (HL3) text of numbered paragraph

as you see, the Heading X and HLn structures are not synchronized with each other, though they behave so individually (and this was detected in Approach 2).

I'm afraid Heading X and HLn lists have different outline list templates so they cannot be synchronized this way. May be, another approach is needed.

What is the correct solution of my problem ? May be, any improvements in Approach 1?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm assuming here that the "HL" series of styles refers to your custom styles? You shouldn't include those in a multilevel list, only the corresponding built-in headings. For instructions on setting up heading numbering, see http://shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.html.

Then, to have your custom styles share the numbering with the built-in headings, make use of the "Style based on" setting in the Modify Style dialog box. For example, make sure that your style HL2 is based on Heading 2.
Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm assuming here that the "HL" series of styles refers to your custom styles? You shouldn't include those in a multilevel list, only the corresponding built-in headings. For instructions on setting up heading numbering, see http://shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.html.

Then, to have your custom styles share the numbering with the built-in headings, make use of the "Style based on" setting in the Modify Style dialog box. For example, make sure that your style HL2 is based on Heading 2.

Stefan,

I have already created several multilevel lists based on custom styles - they work as required, but there is only one imperfection - such lists are not synchronized with Heading X styles as I need.

I viewed the site you refer to, but there is no solution to my problem as it is formulated.

Now, you recommend to include only builtin styles in a multilevel list. I cannot imagine the style structure. For example, I include Heading 1 as level 1 with bold font for number, Heading 2 as subordinate style with regular font, on level 2. If I exclude outline level property from Heading 2 (as it is required in the multilevel list), it would behave improperly when used as Heading 2, wouldn't it? 

What about Heading 3 and so on? I specified above (in the first message) the required structure - it cannot be implemented the way you propose. If I'm wrong, pls, list a possible 9-level style structure.

I need Heading X styles work both separately and in conjunction with HLn styles. Of course, HLn styles should also work separately, but synchronize with Heading X.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Usually, you can use any set of nine paragraph styles with a multilevel list, not just headings. Numbering must be defined in the multilevel list dialog box for Word to recognize different levels and to assign the correct paragraph style as you change levels (this is true for all multilevel lists in Word).

However, in this case, when you want the numbering attached to a specific set of "non-heading" styles to mimic heading numbering, then you must base each non-heading on the corresponding heading style. Doing so will give you this (for example):

1 Heading 1
2 HL1
2.1 HL2
2.2 Heading 2

Again, it is allowed to change settings such as font (in the Font dialog box), outline level (in the Paragraph dialog box) for your HL styles, as long as you leave the numbering settings unchanged.

Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Stefan, do you mean that a user should construct a multilevel list using the "Define new multilevel list ... " command in his/her document?

I want that user only applies styles Heading X and HLn (from a style template I provide for them).

Earlier, I was able to develop such style template file, but I forgot how I did it. If you send me an e-mail to *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, I will reply with such file. May be, it would clarify my requirements.

As I told in the first message, I tried Approach 1 - the result is fine -  but couldn't then change formatting of numbering of the styles that are based on Heading X (but a month ago I was able to do that).

Concerning your recommendation about the structure of the multilevel list,  to realize all the possible sequences of Heading X and HLn levels, Word should have more than 9 levels for multilevel; list:}

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No, the Styles, that incorporate numbering, that you want the user to use should be defined by you in the template that you provide to them.

Having defined the basic Heading 1 to Heading 9 styles that you want, if you then want a HL1 style that makes use of the numbering assigned to Heading 1, in the dialog in which you create or modify that style. you set the style to be based on the Heading 1 style and it will then inherit the numbering and other attributes of the Heading 1 style.  You can then change the attributes of the style (other than the numbering) to suit your requirements. 

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No, I'm not suggesting that you should leave the design to the user. Make sure that your headings are numbered properly, and then "share" the numbering with your other styles via the "Style based on" option in the Style dialog box. See the screen shot that Doug included in his reply.
Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 9, 2023 Views 2,169 Applies to: