Multiple Word and VBA errors

Hello everyone!

I am using Word for a number of years for scientific writing and would like to use it further, but recently I started to have multiple problems, which I can’t handle yet (see pictures below).

After making some preliminary investigation my guess is that the MathType function “Format Equations” might be the cause. However one can’t eliminate other causative factors, so please read the details before sending me to MathType support.

I am using Word 2010 32bit and MathType 6.9a. All starts after having done these actions:

1. Create a new DOCX file (or open an existing one) with various elements such as plain text, MathType elements, tables, pictures, footnotes, cross-references, comments, bookmarks, etc.

2. Do some formatting, insert and/or edit some objects, ..., do “Format Equations”.

3. Do | Home | Save as | PDF | . This action results into “Word has encountered a problem” error.

“Open in Help Window” returns that there is not enough RAM or disk space, both of which is not the case. Changing PDF options does not make any effect. However what seems to play a role is the amount of MathType objects inserted in Word-file: the more of them, the more likely the error to occur. This error is reproducible on other machines too.

Splitting the document edited with “Format Equations” into subdocuments and making a new master document or using Word function “Insert text from File” results into the error “The file part_xx.docx cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents.”

When trying to merge information from subdocuments into one document using copy+paste, the error "To many documents are open" appears not allowing to open more than one file.

Applying the “Format Equations” function to some subdocuments after the master document has been made allows the latter to be opened, but results in the same “Word has accoutered a problem” error when trying to save as PDF. It is also worth here to mention, that the “Save as” window is displayed corrupted: some menu elements are missing, drop-down menu freeze when clicking on them, etc.

Converting edited DOCX files into DOC or RTF and going through the same steps as above results in the same error messages.

I would also like to include here some errors which I came across while playing around my problem (all errors start coming just recently and were never seen before)

The answers provided in these threads

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-word/opening-more-than-one-file-in-word-2010-error-word/f91632a0-59d5-45de-8038-14d08128cc10

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-word/unspecified-error-worddocumentxml-line2-column-0/21971fa0-df44-4ba6-ac42-7d4b5cd4174f

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2011-macword/word-2011-crashes-when-saving/4f6aab91-faa7-4c4d-8032-e11462d7b01d

did not help me.

Following actions did not help too:

* using Office Repair tool

* using "Open&Repair" in Word

* reinstalling MathType

* deleting literally everything (plain text, footnotes, comments, tables, pictures, cross-references) but MathType equations

It is hard to overestimate the massiveness of this problem for me, therefore I would be greatly thankful for any help on solving it. I already started to compare document.xml of the same Word-documents "before" and "after" corruption. I do see some changes in xml structure which look like to be done besides those made by myself, but I can't assess whether they can cause any problems or not. Before I go wrong way (i.e. start to learn open xml format), I've come here to ask for help and will gladly provide any further information required.

Thank everyone in advance for your help.

Sincerely,

Herman

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Try using something like the free PrimoPDF, which will install itself as a printer and use it to "print" your document to a pdf file.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello and thank you for your answer. I tried PrimoPDF and did receive a PDF file, but PrimoPDF can’t handle any text formatting in the document. Neither can it create document structure. This makes it unacceptable as a workaround for my initial problems.

I also noticed that doing just “Format Equations” increases size of the DOCX file. Drilling into its container I found that the amount of WMF files under \word\media is increased. Each WMF file represents a MathType object, inserted in Word file. However, it seems that before doing “Format Equations” multiple identical MT objects had only one WMF file. Applying “Format Equations” makes each MT object to have its own WMF file. Could this be a reason for the errors?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have never had an issue with PrimoPDF not handling text formatting.  What sort of formatting are you talking about.

Also, what do you mean by "create document structure"?

I have no idea what you are talking about in the second paragraph.

Bob Matthews of Design Science has been very good at providing assistance with their product, so I would really suggest that you make contact with him.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Some PDFs have linked headings (usually displayed on the left of the Adobe window). Is that what you mean by "create document structure"? Unfortunately, not all PDF converters are capable of creating that structure, and perhaps PrimoPDF is one of them... But, apart from that limitation, does the conversion work properly?

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Dough, Stefan and the whole community.

Thank you and excuse me for a bit prolonged silence. I am still working on solving this problem. I used quite a lot info from this thread http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-word/unspecified-error-worddocumentxml-line2-column-0/21971fa0-df44-4ba6-ac42-7d4b5cd4174f and now work on both xml and docx level. Formatting the Word’s xml default layout lead to adequate coordinates in the error message. Therefore, there is some progress.

However the document.xml looks like the “other side of the moon” of my docx document. Where the latter looks homogeneous (when converted to PDF), the xml is full of chaos. Practically each chapter has its own formatting for tables, paragraphs, captions, etc. Having seen this mess in xml, its display was revealed in docx too. Could it possibly be a source for originally described errors?

Some PDFs have linked headings (usually displayed on the left of the Adobe window). Is that what you mean by "create document structure"? Unfortunately, not all PDF converters are capable of creating that structure, and perhaps PrimoPDF is one of them... But, apart from that limitation, does the conversion work properly?

Precisely as you say. I need word lines written with „Headings“-styles to be shown in PDF bookmarks pane. I know they can be manually created in professional PDF editors at the post-processing stage. However it seems (or at least it seemed so) that using word’s built-in tools and any free PDF-reader is more appropriate way. In any case there is something wrong with some of my documents, while others are ok. That’s why I have to repair those problem files. Apart of this PrimoPDF uses by default a template (or whatever it calls) other to that is used in my documents resulting to loss of formatting. I assume this can be fixed somewhere in Primo’s settings, but I left this converter since no bookmarks can be created.

I shall inform you of any further progress.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The problem already consumed enormous resources and still persists. Let me please describe it once again, but this time more precise.

There are 12 docx files, which are meant to be subdocuments, 1 master document with few pages of text and ToC that covers contents of those 12 subdocs. These in total give ~500 pages and ~10000 MathType objects. There are comments, footnotes and cross-references in text. There are currently no pictures or other objects in any of those files (number of media wmf’s = number of embedded bin’s = MT objects). Initially subdocuments could be inserted in the masterdoc, which then could be saved as pdf or as single docx without subddocuments structure. Subdocuments can be expanded each time that masterdoc needs to be opened. The errors, depicted in my first post are triggered after “Format equations” function from MathType functions set is applied to each of those twelve documents. Some of them could be ignored or tolerated. Having applied that function returns each time a successful message like this

displaying the number of equation (which is equal to the number of bin’s in that particular docx). The showstoppers are as following. Subdocuments are no longer able to expand in master document. Impossible is also to insert those subdocs into a newly created masterdoc. More generally: it is impossible to have all 12 subdocuments opened at a time. Neither possible is to open half of them at once having the contents of the other half copied into clipboard.

Here are results of some test that may highlight the problem a bit better.

1) It is possible to work (simultaneously open, combine or use as subdocuments) with up to any eleven of twelve docx’s.

2) It is possible to use (combine, insert) each of mentioned in previous step eleven docx’s more than once.

3) It is possible to combine eleven (see. step 1) docx’s with other documents of the same nature (large, overweight of MT objects).

4) It is possible to combine all twelve docs when all wmf’s from each docx are deleted. There are still bin’s there so that these messages are shown in text instead of the MT objects

5) Applying “Format equations” to other previously working texts break them down in the same way.

The problem is not solved by applying the following (altogether or separately):

* deleting all comments and footnotes

* emptying all headers and footers using “Document inspector”

* turning off “Track changes” (so that rIDs are gone)

I left behind the motivation to use “Format equations” function, the results of other numerous tests and my own thoughts on this as they might bring shade upon the main problem. I’ll gladly provide any other details if needed.

To a certain extent I managed to understand word’s ZIP-structure, Open XML format, MTEF format, OLE injections in Word and other things a newer knew or used before. This will allow me to grasp more from your input. I would really much appreciate any advice on this problem or any help that could bring me further to the solution.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Herman, I have exactly the same problem. It comes also in the old documents, which were recently subjected to “Format equations”. I’ve already submitted this problem to the MathType support team. The current status is “under work”. According to the MathType representative this will lead to a new (sub-) version of the program.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply and the information. So MathType support confirmed this error, right? Can’t find either a patch or new version on their website or any recent technical notes (http://www.dessci.com/en/support/mathtype/allnotes.htm) related to the topic though. Did they tell you any deadline needed for making their solution available?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Herman.
Yes, they confirmed this error and that it "would most likely be fixed in a new version of MathType". They however don't know the root cause for the error and don't have a time frame for the release. The fix also won't repair already damaged documents.
I'll try to get some information on workarounds and report back it here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If the fix most likely won't fix what needs to be fixed, then what is it that the fix will fix?..

Did they give any clues on how to repair the damaged documents?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 676 Applies to: