i need help with different headers on same page

i am trying to make 3 different headers above 3 tables on page 1. everytime i try to change the header on table 2, it changes it also on table 1. it will not let me have two different headers on same page no matter what. and neither will it let me have different headers on different pages. i watched videos on youtube and did what it said and the headers still stay the same. this is the process i am doing:

1. start a blank document

2. press center icon to center work.

3. press insert and then press header

4. type header

5. close header(last box at top on right)

6. press insert and then table

7. press table box 5x8

8. press arrow down until out of table and spot should be centered below table

9. press enter 2 more times until enough space is between next table you will be making along with another header

10. press insert header again and it goes back to the top of table 1 thinking i want to change that header. i dont

11 so scroll over 1st header and right click on mouse and press copy.

12 close header and the blinking line goes back to where you were ready to make your second header.

13. right click on mouse and press paste. you header number two is perfectly where you want it under table 1.

14 but header is identical to header 1 and i need it different.

15 click on second header to change it.

16. change second header and left click mouse under second table.

17 header changes, but it also changes header number 1 identical to header number 2.

18 so i am STUCK STUCK STUCK STUCK STUCK STUCK STUCK STUCK STUCK STUCK STUCK STUCK STUCK STUCK STUCK

WHAT DO I DO MICROSOFT?

I think you're confusing the terms header and heading.

A header is an area at the top of the page, separate from the text in the rest of the page. Only one header can appear on any given page at one time. You can't put more headers further down on the same page.

A heading is a paragraph of ordinary text, to which you apply a style that makes it look different. There are 9 built-in styles named Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. and you can define other styles if you want them. Read http://shaunakelly.com/word/styles/tipsonstyles.html and the pages it links to.

You need to put a heading over each table, not a header.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Oh boy do you need to learn Styles!

"3. press insert and then press header"

I have no idea what you mean by "press header".

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I suspect that you want a Caption rather than a heading. Certainly you do not want a Header for this!

More about headers:
Sections / Headers and Footers in Microsoft Word 2007-2013

More about headings:
Why use Microsoft Word’s built-in heading styles? by Shauna Kelly

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

at the top of word 2010 you see the word "INSERT"

click "insert" and then some other boxes appear.

you will see the word "HEADER" in about the 4th box across next to "FOOTER"

click header

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

To add to what Jay has said, you can have a "header row" in each of your tables, but you will need to separate the tables with at least one paragraph of text (or an empty paragraph), so using a heading outside the table (or a caption, as Charles suggests) may be closer to what you need.
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

ok maybe this seems like it is working. you can put only 1 header on a page but you can put different headings on the same page.

let me tell you what i am trying to make. i want to make me a bank statement. the header then could be called BANK STATEMENT instead of SAVINGS FOR HEADER 1, CHECKING FOR HEADER 2, and LOAN FOR HEADER 3.

at the top of each table i could put the headings SAVINGS, CHECKING, LOAN.

i tried this but then i noticed all the headings built in were just the same size as the rest of the text. i wanted the headings over each table to be way bigger than the table text and maybe even colorized. so i think i got it to work right by increasing the letter size from stardard 11 to about 30 on them 3 headings. now i am going to try to colorize them three headings.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As someone else mentioned, you really want to learn how to uses Styles. You would have a TableHeading style. You could apply it to the first row of each of your tables if you want. You would set up the style so it has the formatting you want. Then, in any row where you would want that style you would apply that style. Understanding Styles in Microsoft Word

You can make each table, itself, have one or more Header Rows. These rows would repeat at the top of the table (not the page) if your table has to extend over one or more pages. This is like page headers, but page headers (which are the Headers you see on the Insert Tab) go at the top of each page and sometimes have page numbers in them. Page Headers are not inside of a page but provide a frame for that page. Tables are inside one or more pages. Their header rows are contained inside the page as well as inside the table. Each table can have its own different header rows.

I realize that this is confusing. Look at the links I and others have provided you. Word is a very powerful but complex program developed to meet needs of very different people in different situations. A little time spent learning to use it up front will pay real dividends in time savings in the long run.

I was mistaken about using Captions for this purpose, you are better off with individual table headers.  See the sample document I prepared. It is a .dotx template that illustrates the principles I've discussed above. I has both table headers and, if the document becomes more than one page, a page header.
Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 2, 2024 Views 3,665 Applies to: