How Do You Highlight or Find Specific Cross-reference For Endnotes in the Document?

I have a large document, and I used the endnote functionality and cross-referencing functionality in MS Word to write my references. Now I would like to delete one of my endnotes (reference #2) and would like to find all cross-references associated with it so I can delete them also. Is there an easy way to do this?

On a related question, is there a way to highlight all endnotes and cross-references associated with them--all together? I'm aware you can use the options>advance>field shading option but I think that only works for the cross-references, not the endnotes. Thanks!!! 

Answer
Answer

To do this, you need to open the "Advanced Find" dialog. You can do this by opening the Navigation pane (to the Search tab) using Ctrl+F, then click on the tiny arrow beside the "Search Document" box, and choose Advanced Find..., but I find it easier to avoid the Navigation pane altogether, pressing Ctrl+H to open the Replace dialog and then selecting the Find tab.

Either way, once you've got the Find dialog open, you're going to use Find In, which will select all instances of the "Find what" item in a given document story (you'll have to select Main Document or Endnotes; you can't do both at once).

You can then search for endnote reference marks using ^e, or you can search for superscripted text by leaving the "Find what" box empty and pressing Ctrl+Shift+= (that is, Ctrl+Plus Sign). If you want to limit the selection to numbers, you'll have to use wildcards and search for [0-9] (formatted as superscript).

If you have field codes displayed, you can search for ^19 REF or ^d REF (both ^19 and ^d represent the opening field brace). This will find cross-references (unless they are PAGEREF fields).

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

The easiest way is to use CTRL+A and then F9 to update the fields in the document.  In that the cross referenced Endnote has been deleted, the cross  reference fields will display

Error! Bookmark not defined.

You can use the Replace utility to find that and replacing it with nothing.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 26, 2024 Views 16,525 Applies to: