Forms, content control, and footers.

The objective: To create a five page form for a client profile at my company. The first page is a cover sheet with the client's name, ID, and a service summary (all text). The next four pages are identical service profile (though a different service is profiled on each page, so the content will be different). The client's name and ID is repopulated in the header (which I already know how to do). The body of the profile pages has three rich text content control forms, enabled via the developer tab. I also put a footer on each profile page which contains two tables, one of which needs to be filled out (all text) when doing the profile in the body. I put it in the footer so that the tables would be uniformly displayed on the bottom of the page, regardless of the length of text in the main profile section. I also want to restrict content control so that workers don't accidentally tweak page elements and then I have to resend the form or tell them how to fix it.

The problem: First, if I try using forms for the table cells, because it's a footer, it repopulates the same data on each page. This is bad, as each page is profiling a different service so the content needs to be different. The other problem is that, with restricted editing, other people can't even access to the tables in the footers to edit the content anyway. I've tried to use section breaks instead of footers, but they do not seem to be working properly. Instead of the tables being uniformly placed on the bottom of the page, their placement is affected by the previous section.

Can anyone help me solve this problem? Thanks.

Answer
Answer

You insert the section breaks so that you can put the tables in the footers. Each section can have its own footer; in the Navigation group of the contextual Header & Footer Tools | Design tab, click the Link to Previous button to turn it off and unlink each footer from the previous one; then you can put a different table in its section.

You can select the entire content of the document body (Ctrl+A) and then click Group in the Controls group on the Developer tab. This will protect the document so that nothing can be edited except the content controls, but access to the header and footer is still available. If you want unprotected content in the document, just don't include that in the group. When you have grouped the content, you'll see that you can place the insertion point in the static text, but you can't edit it in any way.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 1,812 Applies to: