Double sided printing from Word

I often get a problem when printing a long document double sided from MS Word 2010 professional.  OS is Windows 7 professional 64 bit.  My printer is now an HP Officejet Pro 8600 but I had the same problem with my previous HP Officejet Pro 8500.  It prints page 1 on the first side of sheet 1, but prints page 2 on the first side of sheet 2, page 3 on the second side of sheet 2.  The printer is fully duplex printing printer, has all the hardware to print  both sides.  I am pretty sure I have the latest driver for the HP 8600.  Also I am sure I have all the latest patches for the HP8600.  I seem to remember if I print a long document from Word and have this problem and then print it from Adobe Reader using the exported PDF file (from Word) I don't have the problem.  It appears to me that it is a Word problem but doesn't always occur.  Seem to crop up when I have a long many page document! Not when I am printing 4 or so sheets.  Under Word Options advanced there are some settings such as 'Print on the front of the sheet for duplex printing' [Tick Box] and also 'Print on the rear of the sheet for duplex printing [Tick Box].  But I don't see why I should have to play with these when the printer is professional duplex printer and Word when printing has an option to select printing on both sides with Flip on short or long edge etc... This really frustrates me and I had it on the 8500 and now on my new 8600.  And I notice that others have had this problem.  Looked at the replies but can't see anything that solves this for me with an HP 8600 etc... Any ideas?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

For Word to correctly add "filler" pages, you must enable "Different odd and even" and/or "Mirror margins" in the Page Setup dialog box. Does that help?
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am not quite sure why I need to play with filler pages?  I did find that on Word options  and Advanced is a printing section.  When I first printed and it messed up the pages it was printing the rear pages first.  So I unticked the box Print Pages in Reverse Order.  It now printed the first page first and it put page 1 on sheet 1 side 1 and page 2 on sheet 1 side 2, page 3 on sheet 2 side 1 (now correct).  So it appeared to be when I printed the rear pages first.  If one has a long document this is useful so that is effectively collated with the first page on top.  Can you be more specific about the filler pages?  I don't really want any filler pages, but pages 1 ... to end continously on the correct sheets and sides etc... But thanks for replying.  I will value any clarification.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think Stefan misunderstood your question. My instinct when reading your question was to ask whether you were printing in reverse order because I would expect that result if the document had an odd number of pages. If your printer is one that outputs face up, then printing in reverse order results in the output being in the right order without shuffling, but you would have to add a blank page at the end to make an even number of pages, forcing the printer to start with the blank even page.

My duplex printer outputs face down, and I have noticed that it prints the back (verso, even) side first in order to output the finished page with the front (recto, odd) side down so that multiple pages will be in the right order. I had never understood the meaning of the check boxes you cite, but now I guess they make sense: if my pages were coming out in the wrong order, I could change that setting to try to change the output order. Fortunately, my printer gets it right the first time!

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The test document I created had 4 pages so whether I printed in reverse order or forward order it (WORD) should have printed it correctly.  Intersting the same document converted to PDF and printed by Adobe Reader always gets it correct.  So in my opinion it is an undesirable feature in WORD. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

For some reason I imagined the presence of section breaks and/or restarted page numbers, which may affect duplex printouts, unless "Different odd and even" or "Mirror margins" is selected. I realize that I misunderstood.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree that this shouldn't have happened, and it does appear that the problem may lie in Word, though I've not personally experienced it.
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This problem is still there.  It was there when I had an HP8500 and my HP8600.  But as Adobe PDF reader prints documents ok.  I can only summise that it is problem with MS Word inconjunction with the driver for my HP printers.  So this is an unanswered query/question/problem.  I can overcome it by printing the document in a particular order.  So I guess I will have to live with this as an unanswered in one sense question.  Unless Microsoft cure this problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am also experiencing the exact same problem and I'm using a Canon MX922. I changed my printer recently from a different Canon model, which never had this issue. As to respond to some of the comments above, in one of my files I am using section breaks, however I don't believe this to be an issue, because I've tested it. In a blank word file, I just entered "test page 1", "test page 2", and "test page 3" for testing with manual page breaks but not section breaks and was able to repeat the same thing. However, when I tested this in ACD Canvas, a graphics app, it worked fine.

As mentioned by m0riart7 above, I was also looking "Under Word Options advanced there are some settings such as 'Print on the front of the sheet for duplex printing' [Tick Box] and also 'Print on the rear of the sheet for duplex printing [Tick Box]." However, I don't fully understand what those check-boxes mean.

The only thing that I can think of as a temporary workaround is to print page 1 first by itself. Then flip that page and start printing the rest from page 2 on. However, it is inconvenient and I'm looking forward to a fix.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Katherine,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

As you have mentioned that you did not have the issue with your previous Canon printer, I suggest you to check if the printer driver for your new Canon Printer is up-to-date. You can check this on the Canon website and download the latest printer driver if not updated.

If the printer driver for your Canon printer is updated or if the above step does not resolve the issue, then try checking (ticking) the 2 options in Printer (File > Options > Advanced > Printer) ‘Print on front of the sheet for duplex printing’ and ‘Print on back of the sheet for duplex printing’. Check with a test document if you are able to achieve double-sided printing.

Check the above and let us know the result.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am experiencing a same type process failure with MS Word 2010 failing to print full duplex on a Lexmark Prospect Pro205 All-In-One multifunction inkjet printer with Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit) OS.  All of my other installed apps and programs have no problems utilizing the full duplex printing capabilities but MS Word 2010 and MS Office 2010 in general seems to have a major problem with duplex printing.  It appears as if Word 2010 does not know how to properly apply the correctly selected printer commands to run the desired full duplex printing process.  All efforts I have exhausted have been totally futile with the exception of MANUALLY cycling the paper through the printer page by flipping page.  Why does MS Word 2010 not print full duplex?  I have set the correct options on various elements within Word & for the desired printer selections and all for naught.  Pure wasted effort.  No other program printing feature process has this problem!!!  Even Excel 2010 has the very same issue.  Did MS withhold some vital info to the various printer companies when the Windows 7 OS version drivers were being developed?  Too many printer branded/manufacturing companies seem to be represented by this exact issue.  Even going into the File Advanced properties and selecting the front and back pages to print for duplex operation DOES NOT WORK!  Could you please explain to me and the various other users of Word 2010 why this is such a prolific issue?  And provide a viable solution?  Reloading the drivers for the printer have not worked.  Updates have made no difference.  Why just the MS Office related apps is this such an issue?  Please advise soonest.  Thank you for your time and assistance.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 2, 2022 Views 7,492 Applies to: