cursor has turned into a flickering hourglass & lost duplex printing

I am running Office Home & Business 2010 on a Windows 7 platform.  After the recent windows update, two disturbing things occurred.  In Word, the cursor has turned into a flickering hourglass which does not revert to a regular cursor [very irritating!]. The second problem is that the printer menu has changed and no longer provides the duplex printing option, which I use almost exclusively.  It only allows for Single Page or Manual 2 Sided Printing. I have done a complete virus check [with Norton 360] which comes up clean. Any suggestions?

Answer
Answer

Both your problems suggest that Word is not seeing a printer. Are you sure that you still have the same printer set as the Windows default?

Also, although in previous versions it was necessary to choose duplexing in the printer Properties, as Doug says, Word 2010 does have the duplex option on the Print tab when a duplex printer is selected as the active printer. The fact that this is not happening suggests that either you have a different printer selected or something has gone wrong with the printer driver. It may be that updating the printer driver would solve both problems.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Duplex printing is selected by clicking on the Printer Properties link in the File>Print dialog.

Are you sure that you have the same printer selected?

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2022 Views 1,981 Applies to: