Cropping width and height not setting independently

I'm using Format Picture>Crop to crop a number of images to the same exact size, entering the dimensions into the Crop position Width: and Height: fields. Although it appears that these dimensions can be set independently of each other (which is exactly what I would expect), changing one dimension very slightly changes the other. For example, I try to crop an image to 4cm high and 5.5cm wide; Word resets the dimensions to 3.99cm high and 5.49cm wide. It's not a big enough adjustment to be a problem, but I can't understand why Word is doing this in the first place. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks!

Hi Neil,

Thank you for choosing Microsoft Community, Let me help you with the Word issue you are facing.

First and foremost Height and width Next to crop in Format tab for Picture tools are not for Crop, but to re-size the image.

If you want to set the height and width independent of each other, you may click on the small arrow at the bottom right corner of "Size"  group> Uncheck Lock aspect ratio and set absolute Height and width for the image to resize.

I hope this helped you, if not do get back to us with more details so that we may assist you further.

Thank you

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Samuel,

Thanks for getting back to me. However, I'm not referring to the width and height fields in the Picture Tools Format tab. I'm right-clicking on the graphic itself and selecting Format Picture from the menu. Then I'm selecting Crop in the dialogue box. In this dialogue there are fields for width and height under the heading Crop position. Changing the values in these fields does adjust the crop area, and the values don't seem to be aspect-ratio-constrained - but changing one value does cause a small change in the other, for no apparent reason.

Many thanks,

Neil

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Following your steps, I do observe the issue, but that is NOT the way that I would crop a picture,  The way that I would do it is to use the Crop Handles.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

But the Format Picture>Crop function is there in Word. It's clearly one way a user can crop images, and it kind-of works: I'm just wondering why there is this apparent glitch with the measurements entered. As it happens, I do sometimes use the crop handles, but it is very hard to crop to exact dimensions thay way.

Thanks,

Neil

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I suspect that SamuelJoseph is correct in assuming that the "Lock aspect ratio" setting is relevant here.
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did try playing around with the lock aspect ratio option, but it doesn't appear to have any effect on the behaviour of the Crop dialogue.

For clarity, I've attached a screenshot. The width value is what I entered, but I entered 4 cm in the height box; Word promptly adjusts it to 3.99 cm. If I change it back to 4 cm, the height is automatically changed to 5.49cm. I know these are trifling amounts - I'm just intrigued as to why it happens.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I admit I'm rather used to this sort of thing in the Size dialog for images, especially if I adjust the size by percentage. It probably has something to do with the way Word interprets measurements, and I've given up worrying about it. I figure a difference of .01 inch (much less .01 cm) is not going to be discernible.
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 30, 2024 Views 4,814 Applies to: