Copy and paste pictures from one doc Layout options Word 2010

Hi team,

When I copy and paste a picture from one doc to another in Word 2010, the picture is always pasted as In Line with Text (the source format) and yet, my Options are set to Insert/Paste pictures using Top and Bottom.

In Word 2007 I was always able to do the above without changing the paste options each time (for a new picture). In fact, I find the Copy and Paste options very annoying and unpredictable in Word of everything. there's no consistency.

Just like we can no longer lasso and entire set of text boxes and an associated picture unless the picture resides on a canvas, Word no longer seems to supports this paste option--or is this another "design feature." (MS needs to learn the difference between design features and major annoyances.)

I'm probably missing something here, but if not, my next post will ask how I can revert to Word 2007. Word 2010 seems so buggy!

Thanks.

- Lee

Hello Lee,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Office Community.

I know how this concerns you and will help you to resolve this issue.

Please provide more information to help you better:

1) Are you experiencing this issue on all Word documents?

2) Is the Text Wrapping style set as Top and Bottom before it is copied from original document?

3) How are pasting the copied picture? Is it by going to Paste > Paste Special > and then selecting Keep Source Formatting?

I look forward to your reply to assist you further.

Thank you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for chiming in. I'm working on a large project that requires me to copy and paste over 500 pictures. from source documents where the pictures are all set to In Line With Text. I need them to reside in the new document as Top and Bottom. I paste them using Ctrl+V. I assume that because my global option is set to Top and Bottom, I can avoid the convoluted process of Paste Special each time.

If Ctrl+V won't work when the global option is set to Top and Bottom, why have the option in the first place? Word has more similar annoyances such as setting numbered list indents with the styles paragraph dialog box. The indents never stick, so why have the option in the first place? But I digress.

I must point out that in my previous Word 2007 program, the global setting for placing pictures worked perfect with Ctrl+V as a pasting method (although the numbered list indents didn't).

It seems there are many neat features from Word 2007 that are missing in Word 2010. They are removed or simply don't work as well as they did in Word 2007! I thought newer versions were supposed to be true upgrades.

As a general thought, Word is a great tool for a single, stand-alone document. It's when you bring another document into the mix that everything falls apart. I don't see why when you bring content from another document, it can't play nice and just blend in with the existing document. Instead, the two mix like oil and water, and very few global options work correctly.

Thanks......Lee

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is one of Word's oddities, but it should be easy enough to work around. Use a macro to paste the graphic e.g.

Sub PasteGraphic()
    On Error GoTo ErrHandler
    Selection.PasteSpecial Link:=False, _
                           DataType:=wdPasteBitmap, _
                           Placement:=wdFloatOverText, _
                           DisplayAsIcon:=False
    Exit Sub
ErrHandler:
    Beep
    MsgBox "Copy the image to the clipboard!", vbCritical, "Paste Special"
End Sub

This will respond to the settings you have in Word options.

http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm   

Graham Mayor (Microsoft Word MVP 2002-2019)
For more Word tips and downloads visit my web site
https://www.gmayor.com/Word_pages.htm

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This appears to be a bug, yes. Graham's macro should do the trick, though.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Graham and Stefan--thanks!

I often wonder what users would do if people like you either refused or didn't know how to fix these issues. Isn't this what updates are supposed to do? Or are updates only made to protect us from security issues? I suppose fixing buggy software gets in the way of outrageous profit and obscene executive compensation packages.

Is it size and market share that allows MS to constantly dodge the bullet? Large corporations are not immune to bankruptcy, especially with the speed of emerging market sources. For reference, I give you modern day Detroit--what's left of it.

Thanks again guys...now where is that post about reverting to Word 2007? Word 2010 is junk!

- Lee

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you have any further ideas, Daniel? You seemed anxious to help earlier.

You're the first support engineer to have answered my concerns. Perhaps my comment about buggy software and how MS constantly ignores important issues that users need fixed, struck a nerve. I would love to hear your comments, since you're much closer to the heart of the MS business plan than any of us.

You people have a wonderful product--when it works. Other companies fix things when they're broken. Perhaps if users from forums like this worldwide, each kicked in one dollar, it would be enough to pay MS to fix all the bugs :). 

I know the purpose of this forum is to help users, not to consistently bash MS. For me, it's bashing MS when I'm wrong. Fortunately, I have the truth on my side. End of rant. Thanks for listening.

- Lee

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Note that Daniel does not work for Microsoft and has no input or insight into development of the software. He is an employee of a company that has a contract to provide support for the Microsoft Community. SEs are not supposed to respond at all until a question is 24 hours old with no replies. When a question has had no reply from the "community" in 24 hours, you can be pretty sure that it's a stumper. In some situations an SE will have access to resources that we ordinary users do not have, but, generally speaking, you're going to get a "real world" answer from one of us.
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Suzanne,

I see your name all over the Internet for MS products, and you're most helpful :)!

I agree with you 100 percent. The members here are most knowledgeable. To be honest, I've never received a response from an SE. I was intrigued when I saw his title. If Daniel chimed in, I guess my question was a real dome scratcher.

I just wish MS would buckle down for once and fix some of the more annoying bugs. Users can find ways around the minor knit-picky stuff. I'm certainly not the only out there who suffers from these major bugs!

I own a lot of Yamaha and Honda products. They stand behind all their goods and services. Looks like Japan lost the battle but won the war!

Thanks for chiming in.

- Lee

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

FWIW, this issue has been escalated to the Word team.
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Suzanne, you're the best. Many thanks.

It will be interesting to see what comes of it. I speak for dozens of technical writers who use Word every day to make a living.

Gee, if they fix this issue, perhaps they'd be willing to take on the image object lasso problem (when a graphic is built outside a canvas). In Word 2007, we can capture an image and all the callouts without the inconvenience of using a canvas. That is removed from Word 2010 based on MS using a brand new graphics engine that doesn't support that property. And yet, the same graphics engine is used in Power Point, but you CAN capture all objects outside the canvas. The Selection pane is well...a real pain. :)

- Lee

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 14, 2024 Views 4,064 Applies to: