continue text to top of next column after a continuous section break

I'm so baffled with columns and continuous section breaks - and I can't find previous discussions about it. I'm probably not wording the search question correctly, and now I'm starting to lose it!

- I have many pages of text in 2 columns.

- The pages need different headers for different sections.

- Despite section breaks (for headers), text needs to continue flowing down one column to the next without leaving white space. So there can't be part of the page left blank to continue the next section on the next page.

- Inserting a continuous section break, splits the page into 2 parts. this gives me 2 columns from one section at the top part of the page, and 2 columns from the next section at the lower half of the page. This seems like it would be very confusing to the reader who is reading straight down the column.

- If for example I need a continuous section break in the middle of the first column, is there a way to continue the text down the rest of the first column, then to the top of the second column, and onward?

I tried to use: "Don't balance columns at the start of continuous sections" but that still breaks the page up into 2 horizontal parts.

Is it a matter of just putting the section break in a different location where it won't disturb the columns??

Thank you for any help with figuring this out!

Answer
Answer
You could use a StyleRef field in the header to change the text without needing a section break. Looking at the document again, it's clear that's what's been done here because the heading in the header is the one that starts on a given page or is the most recent one.
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 25, 2023 Views 2,523 Applies to: